PDA

View Full Version : Fluid Emitter in Pond, how do i stop it emitting?

MLajoie
06-23-2008, 08:17 PM
hey guys, i have a petal falling on a pond, and parented a wake emitter to the petal, and once the petal and wake emitter hit the pond, a ripple happens, but then i dont know how to stop the rippling, it continues to create a shakey/buzzing surface emitting, and i dont know how to stop it from emitting once it hits.

=LuxX=
06-25-2008, 01:45 PM
the density will make it ripple the higher the more movement.. the lower the les movement..
you can put it up high but want it to stop fast.. then go to the atribute aditor /Contents detail under that tab look at density and adjust the dissapation ( looks like disapearing;) ) that will do the trick i hope

Duncan
06-25-2008, 11:03 PM
If you also did "make float" on the petal than the rippling could be a bit of a feedback loop between the water pushing the petal and the petal pushing the water. If desired you can animate the density emission on the fluid emitter to zero to keep the petal from causing ripples.
Duncan

MLajoie
06-27-2008, 03:48 PM
so heres a playblast of the fluid (http://www.pixelsprohibited.com/waterpb/waterpb1.mov)

i have a pond, with a larger wake emitter, making some ripples, then halfway, another wake emitter parented to the petal (notshown), and the rate is animated from 0 -20, then back to 0, and i have animted the density emission, from 0 - 5 - 0, so its off then on (5) then off again, just looking to create a nice ring ripple on top of the subtle wave motion.

but seems to just keep buzzing for some reason, i have no floating objects also.

thank you for help so far. :)

Duncan
06-27-2008, 05:01 PM
Add a little damp so that the waves die out over time faster. Also you may wish to increase the simulation rate scale to speed up the overall motion.

One other fine point... if the fluid emitters are smoother it will tend to hide the grid like noise one can get. The smaller ripple has a hard edge on the emitter boundary. You could both increase the size of that emitter a little and also increase the dropoff so that you don't get a hard wall around the emission point. This will then reduce artifacts on the resulting ripples.

There are some other artifacts of which I'm not sure... are you doing a convert to poly and smooth on the fluid? It looks a bit like one is seeing some smoothing and normal artifacts. If so you may consider converting the mesh to quads before smoothing.

Something that may work better for shading is to create an ocean with a wake and on the ocean shader make the numFrequencies zero. In this manner one has the fluid node as a displacement+bump map instead of needing to convert to poly. One can better refine the shading of the surface this way.

Duncan

CGTalk Moderation
06-27-2008, 05:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.