PDA

View Full Version : Changes between Maya and Maya Unlimited?

Ceridwen
06-23-2008, 07:10 PM
Hiya, first of all I apologize if this is in the wrong category, I've just gotten the student version of Maya 2008 and am trying to learn it so I have a working knowledge for a class I'm taking in July, so I've been doing the tutorials that come with the program--I'm up to the space helmet-ish tutorial "modeling a polygonal mesh." Maybe this should be second nature, but before now I've only worked with 2d drawing, so I really am learning all this for the first time, eheh. Anyway my question is--sometimes the tutorial mentions doing something, but the menu or whatever it says to click isn't there so I have to hunt around and find it. I think the tutorials are written for Maya and I have Maya Unlimited, but I could be wrong about that. Right now I'm stuck on "select mesh > smooth > (box). But there is no mesh menu! Just File, Edit, Modify, Create, Display, Window, Animate, Geometry Cache, Create Deformers, Edit Deformers, Skeleton, Skin, Constrain, Character, Help. Am I having a stupid moment and just not seeing it? Or did they move it around to some sub-menu I can't find? Again I apologize for my naivette, but I've searched through all the helps and googled it to death and I still can't find where they moved it, if they moved it at all o.- thanks.

wima
06-24-2008, 01:51 AM
hold down space -> click and hold rmb on hotbox controlls -> show all.
You can also choose F2 - F6 to change your top menu, or just choose polygons in the upper left scroll menu.

You are probobly having maya complete.
In unlimited you got fluids, ncloth, live and some more features, and Im rather sure there are no student licence for it.

Ceridwen
06-24-2008, 02:44 AM
Ahh...selecting polygons in that dropdown menu made more panels open up, I wasn't expecting that. Now I get it, ehe do I feel dumb. I have to say I'm loving this program, though! It's so satisfying to be able to zoom in and look around what I'm making, instead of only having one view of it like I'm used to with 2D!

TheNeverman
06-24-2008, 06:46 PM
There are student licenses for Complete and Unlimited...

hold down space -> click and hold rmb on hotbox controlls -> show all.
You can also choose F2 - F6 to change your top menu, or just choose polygons in the upper left scroll menu.

You are probobly having maya complete.
In unlimited you got fluids, ncloth, live and some more features, and Im rather sure there are no student licence for it.

CGTalk Moderation
06-24-2008, 06:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.