PDA

View Full Version : Compare topology between meshes?

SoulVector
06-23-2008, 11:32 AM
Hi guys. I have yet a little question. I would like to transfer skin weights from one mesh to another. Iím adding details to older skinned geometry and I would like to transfer parts of it that remains intact. I am trying to find out a way to compare 2 meshes and have some sort of report where Maya indicates the differences, preferably by highlighting the extra points. A sort of topological comparison script. Anyone know such?

Thanks for any help :)

NolanSW
06-28-2008, 07:38 AM
Bind the skeleton to the new mesh, reference in the old mesh with the skeleton that had skinning that you liked. Put the two meshes on separate display layers (hide joints). Hide the new one for now. Go into component mode and select the vertices that you want to transfer, hide that mesh layer and show the new one. Shift + Ctrl add the vertices for the new one the area you want to transfer and copy weights with the default settings. If the topology is slightly different, the weighting will be smoothly interpolated with a few touch up. I've used this technique quite a bit when I've had to incorporate changes from modeling but some parts stayed the same.

-Sean

schock
07-02-2008, 07:59 PM
You can make this one step easier. It is only necessary to isolate the vertices on the mesh you are transferring weights to (that is if you need to isolate an area). I find the easiest way to do this is just select the target verts and create a temporary set for them. Reference in the old mesh, select the old mesh and then just the target set you made of verts, and run transfer weights.

What I like about this workflow, is that now I have the verts saved in a set for easy transferring in the future or I can just delete the set.

Maya treats a set of components (verts, cvs...) the same as if they were selected individually. This workflow works for most deformers like blendshapes, clusters, nonlinears... For a blendShape, make a set of "base" vertices, now select the target object then the set and create the blendshape and only the set's components will be included in the blendshape.

SoulVector
07-06-2008, 11:15 AM
Thanks guys :) Much appreciated. I will give both your method a try and see how it works out. Again thanks.

CGTalk Moderation
07-06-2008, 11:15 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.