PDA

View Full Version : Question about thick cloth, and quick UVing

rdeyoung
06-23-2008, 03:29 AM
Hello,
Im doing this project with an animated character and im giving her some paints. I dont want to have thin pants, i want it to have some thickness. So im extruding the pants back like so:

http://webspace.ringling.edu/%7Erdeyoung/recent/pants.jpg

I think it looks better extruded. If I go this route, what should I expect from doing an ncloth simulation?

Also, whats the best way of going about UVing something like this? Its going to take a seriously long time to select each poly because its going to be difficult not getting the inside ones at the same time. Thanks!

SpaXe
06-23-2008, 04:19 AM
Hey there,

From the top of my head, I can think of a few work-arounds.

1) Extrude as you have it now. Simulate your nCloth with the thin one, with a wrap deformer controlling the other one with thickness. Unwrap your UV faithfully.

2) Extrude only the top and bottom "edges" so it "appears to have thickness". This may be your best bet. I'd still create a duplicate and do wrap deformer though. More control.

For the UV, I'd suggest you do a plane projection from the front, and then cut the UV with one seam or more as you see fit. (Clothings usually have seams. Cut them there, especially the side.) Then, just unfold and relax in Maya. It doesn't take that long.

As for the inside, do you really see them? If not, I wouldn't even worry about unwrapping the inside.

You can do edge loops from top and bottom, and extract that shell from the UV, and flatten it.

Hope that helps.

rdeyoung
06-23-2008, 01:11 PM
Hey thanks!

I think im going to go with option 2. It'll be quicker to calculate and I dont really need to extrude the whole thing. Just add thickness where it needs it.

Although, when I make it an ncloth and it adds gravity, will that unfold and fall downwards?

Ive never done n cloth before, only on simple stuff. I have a video I purchased from Digital Tutors on it that will help me alot, it just never covered this part and maybe some others.

Thanks again!

SpaXe
06-23-2008, 09:43 PM
Although, when I make it an ncloth and it adds gravity, will that unfold and fall downwards?

Could you elaborate what you mean by that? Right now, I can imagine the pants peeling off like banana skin . . . =P.

Of course, if you constrain the top row of vertices of their transformation, things shouldn't "unfold [inside-out]", if that's what you mean.

CGTalk Moderation
06-23-2008, 09:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.