PDA

View Full Version : XSI and Appleseed: Ex Machina

zoom3d
06-22-2008, 09:56 PM
I watched this movie today and it was really awesome
it has a different anime style with shaders.And it was the best i have ever seen
I read an article about Appleseed on XSIbase
Here is the article http://www.xsibase.com/articles.php?detail=45

I wonder that why they use maya and LW for background modeling ?
They can do it with XSI too.And i believe that XSI is pretty enough for everything on this movie.
A lot of companies use a lot of 3D app. for crete a movie.
Why they don't use just one app. ? Like i said , XSI is enough and i think that they can do same background with XSI.But why they don't ?

ThE_JacO
06-22-2008, 10:04 PM
LW because it was cheap for the rendering side of things, and Maya because they have both talent and spare licenses sitting around.
Japanese (complete lack of) pipelines are also more than well known to be some of the slowest to update and transition, and they already had many functional techniques for that kind of work and no need to evolve it and therefore invest in a migration.

zoom3d
06-22-2008, 10:09 PM
You said Rendering for LW . But they used XSI's toon shaders with mental ray didn't they ?
And if they buy XSI , all of other applications make extra cost for company.
No matter spare licence of maya.

ThE_JacO
06-22-2008, 10:13 PM
You said Rendering for LW . But they used XSI's toon shaders with mental ray didn't they ?
AFAIK a lot of the background work (and some hypervoxels effects) were rendered with LW, occasionally rendermaps generated with MRay would be used to bring them back as textures.

And if they buy XSI , all of other applications make extra cost for company.
No matter spare licence of maya.
Not if you ALREADY have the licenses and staff that is trained for that software.
Especially if you deplete your local XSI talent pool, and need to bring in people who don't know it, spare licenses of other software allow access to a talent pool that isn't yet depleted and cost nothing to run.

It's all pretty standard practice in a lot of studios.

zoom3d
06-22-2008, 10:26 PM
oh man, this movie was attracting me for face to XSI.
I want to create animation and visual effect like this movie's
But i don't know that is XSI enough for all of this things.
I have a little bit experience on maya , but it's more expensive than XSI.This is important if i work as freelancer.
What you suggest ? Stay on Maya or switch to XSI ? which one

ThE_JacO
06-23-2008, 07:35 AM
The use of apps other than xsi for that movie was purely out of legacy and convenience, not because XSI wasn't suited to the whole thing.

I use three different applications more or less regularly, XSI, Maya and Houdini.
Maya for the same reasons it was used on appleseed, sometimes it's sitting there and you bump into it, and you just have to, Houdini solely for very particular FX work, and XSI for pretty much everything.

If you don't need the only two things Maya (unlimited, aka twice the price of essentials) has over XSI, a decent viewport OGL API and nCloth, I would definitely go for XSI in every aspect, especially if you don't work on a massive scale of production, which you don't seem to.

Maya has been a groundbreaking appliaction years ago, but I can't say I feel like it's moved much since v4 in terms of design, and since AD bought Alias I can't say I feel like it moved on AT ALL.

I am of course very biased, and the above is of coursel my personal opinion, and the grand total of what I'll say on it, since more than that and I'd be breaking our rule of no app VS app threads :)

3DDave
06-24-2008, 09:34 PM
Check out this article about the newest Appleseed, Ex Machina.

http://www.softimage.com/community/customer_stories/appleseed_ex_machina/default.aspx

finalgathering
07-03-2008, 06:37 PM
I see a lot of work made in this stile.
Apart from the shading control you get with XSI...
They especially use XSI because of Delta referencing and GATOR.

Apart from some specialized effects, all could have been done in XSI imo.

CGTalk Moderation
07-03-2008, 06:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.