PDA

View Full Version : How do I load Displacement map into messiah?

NicolasJordan
06-22-2008, 05:48 PM
Well I am ready to render out some displacement in messiah. The only problem is I can't figure out how to load the map in. There is no Displacement node or anything like that I can find. Some help with this would be much appreciated.

Ulven
06-23-2008, 01:28 PM
Whatever you plug into bump in messiah will also automatically displace. The displacement is very powerful (there's a lot of it), so after you've plugged it into bump, you should use the bump setting in the basic properties panel to decide how much you want it to bump (often 0.01 - 0.1 is enough. I think this value is in meters rather than percentage so it will depend a bit on the size of your object, but I could be wrong here).

If you've got a Zbrush map, I believe they go from black being inward in the model, to grey being no displacement, to white being outward. To accommodate this, check the remap button on the texture map panel. You can push the ends further out or further in with the settings. This remaps the displacement values for messiah so grey is no displacement instead of black being no displacement which it does by default (I think).

Now go to Render->Surfaces and select your object. Set Max Displace to 1.0 and set how many sub levels you want. These are additional sub divisions after the initial metanurbs. If you've got a lot of detail (like a classic lumpy monster Z brush thing) then you should go with settings of around 6-10 I think, sometimes more and sometimes less depending on your mesh.

NicolasJordan
06-24-2008, 03:55 AM
Thanks for the help and explanation. I'm going to give that a try and see what happens. I am using Mudbox to bake out my displacement maps and it's suppossed to be able to bake out a zbrush style displacement.

CGTalk Moderation
06-24-2008, 03:55 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.