PDA

View Full Version : Glass material

wannabeArtist
06-22-2008, 05:11 PM
Hello,

Can someone hint me on how to make realistic glass material? I'm working on a glass bottle (aftershave bottle, thick glass) and so far I managed to make it look as shown, but why does that glass have a sort of black pattern on it? It was supposed to be completely transparent.

Thanks

adrencg
06-22-2008, 09:31 PM
I would recommend the Trueglass shader, but I've been using the Architextural shader with great results. It's a great glass shader, and it renders reflection really quick.

You also need to have an enviroment to refract, otherwise everything will look black.

wannabeArtist
06-23-2008, 03:07 PM
Ok, cool, I'm currently using the architechtural glass. What do you mean with the "refracting environment"? I tried to put the bottle inside a cube with inverted normals, so that the entire model (and lights) were fitted inside the inverted cube, but even then it looks the same, including that pattern on the glass.

adrencg
06-23-2008, 03:51 PM
Ok, cool, I'm currently using the architechtural glass. What do you mean with the "refracting environment"? I tried to put the bottle inside a cube with inverted normals, so that the entire model (and lights) were fitted inside the inverted cube, but even then it looks the same, including that pattern on the glass.

Add an environment node to the material, or to the entire pass. If the glass sees a black world, then the glass will be black(er).

tc
06-23-2008, 08:27 PM
just type "XSI Glass" on google and you come up with this:
http://www.xsibase.com/forum/index.php?board=6;action=display;threadid=23203

pretty nice study of glass shaders/techniques..
There are lots of other threads... check it out.

CGTalk Moderation
06-23-2008, 08:27 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.