PDA

View Full Version : RandomAnimation Reel

taxibickle
06-22-2008, 04:47 AM
Just finished my first cut of a reel I've been working on.

There's more than Messiah stuff in there, but I thought it was worth sharing anyway.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks

www.randomanimation.com

Ulven
06-23-2008, 01:15 PM
Some nice bits in there, I think I would definately cut it a little bit in length and use only the strongest work in the reel. Is there a specific job you're looking for with the reel?

Some of the character animation is a bit stiff, and from what I saw overall it looks like you're having some problems with or sometimes forgetting alltogether to work with the center of gravity control, so the hip and limbs end up rotating entirely independantly without affecting the characters center of gravity.
Another point to improve is that the animation is quite floaty. Learn to hit a pose in a defined
manner, and then learn to stay there more solidly until you're ready to hit the next. Don't let the default smoothing of the animation curves define the look of your animation.

Some of the best animation in the reel to my eyes was on the fly-catcher plants and the gingerbread man, and the motion graphics all seemed perfectly decent.

MarkInTx
06-23-2008, 01:44 PM
Well, Ulven has a much better eye than I do :-)

Interesting stuff there... a wide variety to be sure.

I am curious as to which of it was Messiah... if you don't mind elaborating?

(It may just be coincidence, but Max and XSI animation always looks "stiff" to my eye, whereas Messiah animation comes across as more fluid and smooth. It's hard to say, since I have never seen the same clip done in both, but it always seems to me that this is the case... I wonder if the way the engine calculates the tweens has something to do with it? Or maybe it is just I have seen better artists do things with Messiah... dunno...)

taxibickle
06-23-2008, 02:15 PM
Thanks guys. I definitely have a way to go on my character animation. The venus fly traps are my favorite by far.

C3PO, Vader and The Yellow Robot were made stiff on purpose but I can definitely see what you are talking about overall.

Job wise I'm not really sure. I have a full time gig as a creative director at an interactive shop that eats up about 80+ hours a week and I have two kids so most of this was done in between all of that.

I did all of the modeling, texturing, animating, lighting, compositing, after effects, etc. as well as editing, script writing and character voices.

Venus Fly traps, The yellow Robot and the bathroom sign guy were done in Messiah. The other character animations were done in Lightwave before I bought Messiah.

Again, thanks for the advise. It gives me some direction to work with.

Parsec3d
06-23-2008, 02:17 PM
remove repetitions, shorten it out in the total length and on the length of the cuts(editing to a faster beat might help,, leave at the end a full version of your best work and at the begging only the best of the best.

CGTalk Moderation
06-23-2008, 02:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.