PDA

View Full Version : Rendering Bones, Nulls, & Splines

DustinBrown
06-20-2008, 07:00 PM
I want to add some of my Lightwave work to my rigging reel. I already have the shots rendered and they look good, now I basically just want to go back and re-render them, but only render the rigs so I can overlay the rig objects (bones, nulls, splines) in post.

This is what the LW docs say: "Null objects appear in the Layout window as six-pointed stars or jacks; however, they never render in an image. [...]"

Here are two options I'm aware of, but I don't particularly like either:

1) Create proxie geometry to represent my bones, nulls, and splines, link the proxies to the original "helper" objects, render the wireframe of the geometry.

Pro: I'll get a clean render
Con: Gigantic pain in the ass

2) Set my background color to green, do a screen capture using either the Preview tool in Layout, or Camtasia, then key out the green in post.

Pro: Fairly easy
Con: Will almost certainly look bad, and Camtasia doesn't capture at 30fps.

Ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,
Dustin Brown

royg
06-20-2008, 09:55 PM
Just make the preview black and white and use multiply or screen. If you really want, you could make the preview twice the size of your main render and then scale it down in your comp (to simulate some anti-aliasing on the preview). Use very high quality compression settings (or better yet, none) in your preview to get the best look you can.

Why on earth would you want to use camtasia to capture your preview? It's about as sensible as taking a photo of your screen with a film camera and then scanning the photo into your computer!

softdistortion
06-20-2008, 10:01 PM
Just a thought... hide your meshes and use "make preview" from the camera view port to show the bones...assign a shape to your nulls to show them?

DustinBrown
06-23-2008, 02:34 PM
Roy,

I wouldn't want to...that was kind of my point :)

Thanks guys.

softdistortion
06-23-2008, 05:11 PM
*Edit*
Redundant

CGTalk Moderation
06-23-2008, 05:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.