PDA

View Full Version : Scene to smithereens?

Sarford
06-20-2008, 12:36 PM
Hi all,

I just got this warning from XSI when opening my scene. Is there anything I can do to fix this or am I screwed? It would be a nuisance if the scene is lost forever... so I hope all is not lost...

visualboo
06-20-2008, 05:32 PM
Maybe check the backup folder for a successfully saved scene?

Sarford
06-20-2008, 10:49 PM
visualboo, I could just kiss you! It was indeed saved in the Backup folder, never knew that! YThanks pal!

finalgathering
06-20-2008, 11:10 PM
Yes, every time you click "save" the scene XSI replaces goes into that "Backup" folder...so it's completely non destructive :)

It's a good thing however to flush out all the backups occasionally if you're looking for disk space.

stblair
06-21-2008, 12:55 PM
crap deleted

ThE_JacO
06-21-2008, 04:03 PM
well, it keeps 4 copies for each scene, and if you version your saves that means 5x scene footprint per version.
When you have 50-100 megs scenes (or more) and a hundred versions between majors and minors, they add up quick.
The above case isn't uncommon at all for geo caches and layouts, it's in fact more often the case than it's not in my personal experience.

Been on gigs where I would, with backups set to two, blast away half a tera of backups every few months. Technical animators (people on character finishing) and lighting artists with caches loaded had to turn it off entirely.
With a few artists on the floor backups for a company I worked in used to amount, on average, to three teras per storage review (every four weeks).

With 4 backups your 3D scenes footprint is literally 5 times bigger than it would be.

I second Manny's suggestion to keep it in place as any automated and easy to track redundancy is always good disaster recovery, but make sure you do pay attention to it if you find yourself starved for storage.

CGTalk Moderation
06-21-2008, 04:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.