PDA

View Full Version : 3-point lighting

myusuf
06-20-2008, 10:33 AM
Hi, I am a new comer and this is my first post. Can any one explain me about 3-point lighting. Though I have tried many times but I was not satisfied with the results. Main problem is, dont know where exactly to put 3 lights. Basic atleast I know where to put key, fill and back light. But what would be the distance from the object and how much multiplier, these things are not getting into my head. Any help would be really appreciated. I would be more happy if things are explained in detail and step wise.
Thanks in advance.

SmallPoly
06-20-2008, 11:05 PM
There aren't any fixed "correct" values...if you understand what role each light in this kind of setup is meant to fulfill, then play with the distances and values until they're full fulling that role. Generally, avoid making the key so bright that it blows out the whites, and avoid making the fill so dark that you lose all detail in shadow areas. Likewise, avoid making the lights so similar in brightness that you can't tell where one ends and another begins...unless that's what you're going for.

It's really up to you, and what you think looks good.

I'm pretty sure this thread doesn't belong in the Gnomon Workshop Events section of the forum, however.

myusuf
06-21-2008, 09:42 AM
There aren't any fixed "correct" values...if you understand what role each light in this kind of setup is meant to fulfill, then play with the distances and values until they're full fulling that role. Generally, avoid making the key so bright that it blows out the whites, and avoid making the fill so dark that you lose all detail in shadow areas. Likewise, avoid making the lights so similar in brightness that you can't tell where one ends and another begins...unless that's what you're going for.

It's really up to you, and what you think looks good.

I'm pretty sure this thread doesn't belong in the Gnomon Workshop Events section of the f
orum, however. Thanks so much for your suggestions. I will follow your tips and see if I can get the better result.

mummey
06-23-2008, 01:06 PM
Here is the forum for lighting questions. You are likely to be many more responses faster there:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=21

CGTalk Moderation
06-23-2008, 01:06 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.