PDA

View Full Version : how to fix non-manifold edges?

yioryios
06-20-2008, 08:27 AM
i have a poly model that i wanted to convert to sub-d. when i tried, it said it cannot convert because there are nonmanifold edges, but i could fix this by doing mesh -> cleanup. i did this, but it detached the offensive parts of the model (which i could not tell at first), then when i converted to sub-d, i could see that the parts were detached, and things were bad. i tried doing the cleanup, then reattaching the parts to the main model, but then they were nonmanifold again.

my question is, how can i fix nonmanifold edges on a poly model so that i can convert to sub-d? and what are nonmanifold edges, anyway, and how did i get them?

hakanpersson
06-20-2008, 09:57 AM
Run the cleanup with just selecting the broken edges rather than fixing it. That way you can fix it yourself if maya is unable too.

Non manifold is where the continuity of the surface is incorrect, for example such as three faces meeting with eachother and merges like a revolving door. In those cases maya will not be able to smooth that crossing correctly. It can also be caused by silly things like co-planar faces and or flipped faces.

vikasumit
06-20-2008, 12:56 PM
hi

I agree with hakanpersson,

u have to edit your own where the problem is. Maya has solution for that but then it damage your geomatry shape.
anyway to learn more about nonmanifold plz check this http://www.cgindia.info/2008/01/01/nonmanifold-geometry/

yioryios
06-20-2008, 01:38 PM
thanks a lot! both of your replies were very informative, and helpful. i suppose that i just have to be a bit more careful when modeling, and un-doing certain commands.

kibble
06-20-2008, 01:54 PM
I was wondering this too so thanks for posting. I figured it was a problem that was essentially down to user error, so therefore needed to be fixed manually rather than there being a quick fix.

CGTalk Moderation
06-20-2008, 01:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.