PDA

View Full Version : maya muscle collisions

andyLP
06-20-2008, 03:15 AM
Hi there,

Just wondering if someone can tell me if maya's new muscle system allows for muscles to collide with each other.
And if so.. consider this basic test i'm trying to implement.

I'm trying to get a thigh muscle to push up into a fat layer (in this case a muscle).

Thanks

Andy

doodlyD
06-20-2008, 11:46 PM
the skin can collide, muscle cant do it now

michaelcomet
06-20-2008, 11:53 PM
Well I wrote this...so the answer is it can...but probably not worth it...it will be slow. The main thing is u really care more about the skin so I'd try to setup the rig more to just worry about that than making pretty looking muscles...

However you could either use the cMuscle-KeepOut node to actually drive a locator that will shift the control of one muscle based on it hitting the other muscle...this will be reasonable fast but more of a pain to setup... or you could use the cMuscle MultiCollide to collide the two muscles...again this will be slow..it will also appear to not quite hit 100% since it will use a polygon approximation that is using the hull points... rather than points on the surface so it may appear to collide "early".

comet

andyLP
06-21-2008, 01:38 AM
Michael, its awesome that you're taking the time to get round the forums and help people out.. thanks alot.

I'll give your suggestions a go when I get a moment.

I managed to get some success by building poly muscles, applying nCloth, and converting the outputCloth into a cMuscle object.

This worked really nicely on some skin with some constraints holding the muscles in place. I got it playing realtime without a cache on my basic test rig, but obviously you can't scrub which is quite a disadvantage.

Thanks again,

Andy

CGTalk Moderation
06-21-2008, 01:38 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.