PDA

View Full Version : heavy scenes crash....why?

a_joke
06-19-2008, 08:50 PM
i have four characters. each range from 20k to 50k polys. the actual enviroment is 55k. i've tried putting all in one scene, but it crashes. is it because it's heavy, because each character on there own are fine. i have a g-force 7950 gt 512 mb, p4 ,2gig mem, xp sp2. any suggestions? how big is big? does it have a particular limit. now those characters are fully rigged. i do have proxies for them. i know i can animate the proxies, then bring in the full characters and do a swap. am i doing something wrong or is it just to heavy.

Ulven
06-19-2008, 09:18 PM
Sounds like maybe you're running out of memory. Hit CTRL+Shift+Esc and see if the messiahStudio.exe is hitting somewhere around 1.2 - 1.5 gigs or something like that.
If it's crashing at that point, one way out is to buy 64 bit.

However, think about the scene, do you need to animate all the characters at the same time?
If not then the best way might be to animate one or two at a time, then bake down that animation to an mdd file, then in a new scene, Load the objects and environment and apply dmorph to them with the mdd from the other files.
That way, all the rigs are removed from the memory equation (and if your rigs are heavy, that can be a bit).

If you need all the characters interacting, then you should definately use smaller proxies to animate with.

A couple of more possibilities:
-It might be worth trying to disable metanurbs on the characters too.
-It might be worth checking for bad geometry since the polycount is so high (they're around 10 times more than a typical subdivision model we use here).

kursad_pileksuz
06-19-2008, 10:11 PM
Try importing all in seperate scenes to see if any of them crashes. If they can be successfully imported save them as seperate .fxs files then import (load-append) all into one scene.

If you are on 32bit xp then your limit is 2gb. Generally speaking geometries that are around those poly numbers would not clog the memory . You should check your texture resolutions and formats too see if they have any significance.

a_joke
06-20-2008, 05:54 AM
thanks guys. i'll try both. i do think my characters have too much geometry (i think it's the wings) so i'm going to find a better way to model them. i don't use metanurbs in pmG because i know it slows it down. question does it matter that the proxy in the same file as the model or should i give it a file of its own? i haven't textured them because it'll slow it down a bit. i'd rather have them plain until i'm ready to render. i have been thinking about upgrading my system. have you guys heard any news on the g-force 280 gtx? anyway i am going to do try out all of your suggestions. wish me luck. and a big thanks.

MarkInTx
06-20-2008, 02:45 PM
thanks guys. i'll try both. i do think my characters have too much geometry (i think it's the wings) so i'm going to find a better way to model them. i don't use metanurbs in pmG because i know it slows it down. question does it matter that the proxy in the same file as the model or should i give it a file of its own? i haven't textured them because it'll slow it down a bit. i'd rather have them plain until i'm ready to render. i have been thinking about upgrading my system. have you guys heard any news on the g-force 280 gtx? anyway i am going to do try out all of your suggestions. wish me luck. and a big thanks.

Also, Messiah really doesn't like nGons. Make sure your models are all quads...

CGTalk Moderation
06-20-2008, 02:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.