PDA

View Full Version : Match animation to new joint axis orientation?

SoulVector
06-19-2008, 08:50 AM
Hi. Need a little advice here. Iím working on rebuilding a current rig for a game. The problem is that the joints on the opposite side donít have the rotation axis so they match up. There is no bind-pose but there is animation that is being used in the game right now. Iím adding geometry and would like to conserve the animation but since there is no frames in the animation where the joints match up it makes it difficult to create a symmetric skinning so that I can mirror the skin weights and animation.

What would you do guys?

I was thinking that there might be some way that I can mirror the joints from one side to the other so I can get a symmetric initial pose and attach the animation curves to the new joints and somehow convert the animation so it matches up with the new orientation. It is a FK rig.

Thanks for any help.

djx
06-19-2008, 12:53 PM
I've never tried it myself, but the zooXferAnim script has a feature that allows it to transfer animation using worldspace orientations, so that it doesnt matter if the axes are different.
(Its part of the zooToolbox (http://www.macaronikazoo.com/))
-- David

SoulVector
06-19-2008, 02:46 PM
Oh cool, thanks djx. Iíll give it a try and see what I can come up with. I post an update later.

Cheers.

CGTalk Moderation
06-19-2008, 02:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.