PDA

View Full Version : New Anchorage Valley Matte Painting, Jack Moik (2D)

arturvill
06-18-2008, 06:44 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/324637/324637_1213814666_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/324637/324637_1213814666_large.jpg)

Title: New Anchorage Valley Matte Painting
Name: Jack Moik
Software: Photoshop

This is a digital matte painting which I did for the movie Nydenion. In the final digital composit we will put in some live action troops comming up the hill. A a couple of CG transport shuttles in the sky will support them.

The painting is done in Photoshop CS2. Finishing time aprx. 30 hours. I did use some textures from nearby mountains and painted over a nice autumn sky photo which I took last year. It was really fun to finish that painting by having absolutely no reference. Your comments are welcome.

Best regards, Jack Moik - Solid Ground Entertainment

InfernalDarkness
06-19-2008, 07:26 PM
It's very clean and well-painted, even the foreground grass. Thanks for sharing!

JohnnieEstill
06-20-2008, 05:12 PM
I too think that this is very clean. Well done!

arturvill
06-21-2008, 02:26 PM
Thank you for the input. Well...yes, I did have something very clear and crisp in mind when painting that. Of cause, paintings with a lot of haze have their own charm, but I'm sometimes surprised, how clear a real landscape can be, almost "unnatural". It was also a bit unusual to paint "just" a landscape with no focal point or architecture object at all, but the screenplay called for a "rough beautifull landscape" so the painting will be filled with life after compositing.

Best regards, Jack

KyleKuhlman
09-09-2008, 12:01 AM
This painting has a great composition. The light is subdued and feels natural. The details are painted very well. I have one comment: the foreground rocks on the right side have a blue highlight. Should this be a slight golden-color, like the sunlight?

Very well done!

arturvill
09-09-2008, 08:45 AM
This painting has a great composition. The light is subdued and feels natural. The details are painted very well. I have one comment: the foreground rocks on the right side have a blue highlight. Should this be a slight golden-color, like the sunlight?

Very well done!

First, thank you for your kind comment. You are perfectly right Kyle. I noticed that too and will correct it soon. It should be a matte painter basic knowledge that the surface highlighs should always have a similar color to the source, wherever the shaddow might reflect the sky. ;)

Best regards,
Jack

CGTalk Moderation
09-09-2008, 08:45 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.