PDA

View Full Version : First proper walk cycle - claymation style

modernPrimitive
06-18-2008, 05:07 PM
Greetings all,

Please check out my walk cycle and provide some crits. I've done some character animation before but I found a walk cycle to be a little more involved than I'd anticipated.

I rigged the character with a simple "fat" system using influence objects that deform according to several contraints for the tummy and butt. Oh yes and I always wanted to try and mimick a claymation style animation hence a fully rendered version at 12fps - though the bad compression detracts from the attempted effect.

Let me know what you all think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dtmvxl8aqTc

EDIT: hmmmm...guess youtube is not the best for crits - should have added frame numbers as well.

modernPrimitive
06-18-2008, 09:28 PM
Uploaded a copy to aniboom. Quality is better than youtube:

http://www.aniboom.com/video/240842/3D-animated-walk-cycle---claymation-style/

modernPrimitive
06-19-2008, 10:40 PM
No advice? Suggestions for improvement?

lewistaylor
06-20-2008, 12:41 AM
Hey buddy.

Looks good so far, a little hard to judge without a front
and side profile vid, but it looks nice.

Not too sure what you mean about 12 FPS? Did you render
it out at 12 FPS? This isn't what claymation dudes do, they
still run at 24 FPS but might do 2 exposures per move. You
might have only 12 frames of animation, but each frame is
played twice so you it's output is still 24 FPS.

aesir
06-20-2008, 01:46 AM
looks great dude. Very claymation-y and the walk cycle looks really solid.

modernPrimitive
06-20-2008, 10:29 PM
Thanksfor the feedback,

I "optimized" the walk according to the camera angle (locked off) so the side views and front views aren't that great (in retrospect) - though I primarily worked in side and front views, I always assessed in terms of the locked off cam.

Will post side and front views on monday when I'm back at the office. I think they will be more telling as to what areas I need to improve on.

CGTalk Moderation
06-20-2008, 10:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.