PDA

View Full Version : n-cloth trench coat

thehive
06-18-2008, 02:33 PM
i started this but for some reason the coat streaches like licra an starts to slip off his body, also the mesh seem to start to explode an one have an idea how to start this off

the animation is to test how its acting but its all over the palce
http://www.mantamediagroup.com/3dpic/sim_a.mov

eyesonlybob
06-18-2008, 03:03 PM
most likely, your scale is way off. Considering your character looks to be like 25 maya units tall. You'll need to adjust the space scale seting in the nucleus node.
the scale setting determines the relative space scale applied to this Maya Nucleus solver. The Maya Nucleus solver treats nCloth objects as a scale model and applies the specified forces internally to get the expected behavior for the actual nCloth object at its actual size. The default value is 1.

Gravity interprets Maya’s units as meters. When the working units of your nCloth’s scene is not set to meters (such as Maya’s default centimeter working unit), you may need to adjust the space scale of your nCloth’s Maya Nucleus solver. Otherwise, the large-sized nCloth objects in your scene may not behave as desired. For example, when Space Scale is 1.0 (default), Gravity treats a 100 centimeter wide nCloth object like it is 100 meters wide. To improve the behavior of your large-sized nCloth objects, reduce the Space Scale value.

If you are modeling such that one unit is equal to one centimeter, the Space Scale value should be set to 0.01.

thehive
06-18-2008, 03:14 PM
almost on the money 33 units, thanks ill try that out

thehive
06-18-2008, 05:18 PM
heres an up date but the slevee keeps sliding off any idea how to stop it from doin that?

http://www.mantamediagroup.com/3dpic/sim_b.mov

eyesonlybob
06-18-2008, 05:32 PM
looks like theres some intense gravity on it which implies there is still a problem with the scale.

I think you should remove the keys on the character. Its hard to tell exactly what is happening because he moves so quickly. Quick movements also cause weird things in the simulation. Return him the the default T pose and figure out your settings from there. Allow the simulation to run so that the coat settles on his body and does not stretch down to the ground. Adjust the scale until it settles but does not wobble or stretch excessively.

thehive
06-18-2008, 05:37 PM
ah ok thanks, i need to set this to play every frame right

thehive
06-18-2008, 06:10 PM
every thing settes good but the left are cuff keeps wobbling any ideas?

thehive
06-18-2008, 06:31 PM
ok no animation still actin up jus on that arm not makin any sense

http://www.mantamediagroup.com/3dpic/simC.mov

space scale = 60 seems ok

space scale = .01 went nuts

height of coat = 29.277

eyesonlybob
06-18-2008, 06:51 PM
let it simulate longer. all of your samples are only like a second long. Give it more time to settle. You should also look into setting the initial state after it settles into a good position.

you should really look into something like the digital tutors nCloth dvd. thats what I used to start out with it, and it really helps out with weird things like scale. It's kinda hard to learn when you dont know what the settings do.

Duncan
06-19-2008, 06:52 PM
When you lower the space scale, gravity will be stronger. For your size you probably need a space scale of 0.1. The substeps and stretch resistance will also need to be increased. For a high res mesh stretch resistance of 500 and substeps as high as 50 may be required.

Duncan

thehive
06-20-2008, 12:12 AM
well one prob i saw is that my chracter was not to scale once i did that i got much better results, but for some reason i can see any of the presets

Duncan
06-20-2008, 03:42 PM
If you open the attribute editor for an nCloth node the presets are available off the preset in the editor button. (unless you have Maya8.5)

Duncan

thehive
06-20-2008, 07:37 PM
haha, i was able to get it i wasnt pressing the preset long enough to open the window

here is my lastest test but the coat is sticking on certain areas like under the arm an i cant seem to get the bottom of the coat to rest to the ground also the left sid filps up an over into itsself i can seem to find a good work flow for setting this up more or less how to prep the obj base on the size an infulencing it with nucelus.

another issue is that the character collisoin obj is flipin out too could that be why its not actin the way i should?

new test : http://www.mantamediagroup.com/3dpic/sim_D.mov

CGTalk Moderation
06-20-2008, 07:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.