PDA

View Full Version : Turn off Paint Effects evaluation?

dEnbom
06-18-2008, 02:08 PM
Hi'yall fellow artists, really could use your help on this one...

Short version: Does anybody know how to turn off Paint Effects-evaluation?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I'm making a short commercial in sort of a stylized manner, and I have this plane covered in grass and in the grass I have a bunch of paintFX flowers. Starting to get quite satisfied with the setup and now I want to start animating my camera through the "field of flowers" (about 10-20 PFX-flowers-mesh converted to polygons and together they count up to something like 250.000 faces)

Now, I can pan, dolly and orbit freely in the sceene without any hickups or lag, but when I start to jump around in time, performance is reaaaaally sluggish (playblasting the 375 frames takes about 5 minutes) which makes it very hard to animate the camera at all.

I've already thrown away the grass (can put it in before rendering) and the only conclusion I can make from this is that the paintFX-node is evaluating for eventual flow animation (which there are none yet).

Does anybody know how to turn off Paint Effects-evaluation for now? I want them visible but not to be able to move for now.

Greatly thankful for any response on this as it's kinda threatening to compromise my deadline.

.dE

eyesonlybob
06-18-2008, 03:06 PM
You could bake the simulation. That should speed things up. Or, duplicate all the grass and flowers, delete history and assign to a separate layer. Then you can switch between grass that is animated (with turbulance or such) and the grass that is not animated.

dEnbom
06-18-2008, 03:44 PM
Yeah thanks, that's a good idea... I just broke the connection with time1.timeOut for now... Your way is alot better :)

Also, any suggestions on a subtle motion in maya fur that I've used for grass? Just some kind of turbulence... I was thinking of trying a subtle animation on the roll attribute.

plug3
06-19-2008, 03:28 PM
Using layers is good. Instead of duplicating your grass you can set an overide on the turbulence in the force tab of your brush. Set it to 0.

Duncan
06-19-2008, 06:48 PM
.. Does anybody know how to turn off Paint Effects-evaluation for now? I want them visible but not to be able to move for now...

Set paint effects to "interactive" in the performance options window.

Duncan

Aikiman
06-19-2008, 09:18 PM
Also, any suggestions on a subtle motion in maya fur that I've used for grass? Just some kind of turbulence... I was thinking of trying a subtle animation on the roll attribute.

Attach dynamic hair system to your fur.

CGTalk Moderation
06-19-2008, 09:18 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.