PDA

View Full Version : The Shadow Demon

alicelefay
06-18-2008, 10:30 AM
http://www.alicefantasyart.com/ALICEFAY/pics/TheShadowDemonweb.jpg
This is a painting i developed from a scketch posted in the Daily Sketch Forum...
Suggestions and critiques please :D

Photoshop CS, about 8 hours

TedNindo
06-18-2008, 01:27 PM
hey some nice ideas. The fur on the helmet looks excellent. What I would recommend is a proper lighting. In your drawing I can't make out a lightsource. Thats why the painting looks a bit flat. You have quite a lot light and dark in your background but thats not the case with your figure especialy the skin. If you install a proper lighting you will get more and better readable forms. Hope that helps you

alicelefay
06-18-2008, 01:41 PM
oh yes it helps me a lot...lights are a big problem in my paintings, I'm studying them and i hope to get some results one day ^^
I tried to give the idea of lights and shadows in the skin too (it's the first time that I use the combination of reddish and blue colours on skin to give a sense of realism)...but yes, it's still so flat...perhaps it needs more contrast? more light?
:hmm: I hope to understand this in the sketches I'm working furiously on LOL

Thank you :))

arielmedel
06-18-2008, 03:40 PM
I don't know if someone mentioned this but the right part of her torso and leg look flat... The mohak looks great ;)

alicelefay
06-18-2008, 05:17 PM
http://www.alicefantasyart.com/ALICEFAY/pics/TheShadowDemon02web.jpg

I tried to fix the question of the flat body...
I added a orange reflection and a blue shadow, more intense, near to it...
Does it all make any sense? :argh:
Thank you for the help and comments

arielmedel
06-18-2008, 05:35 PM
I did some changes to your image that I think would help, I hope you don't mind, these are suggestions. It's very rough, so don't take it as it is, most of the things I did are indications.

I think it needed more shadow and lights to give it volume, also the light source is confusing. The right hip wasn't as it should... so I indicated that in there too...

I didn't touch the right arm so much but I think it needs more shadow...

http://ariel_medel.tripod.com/sample2x.jpg

The belly button was too high, and still is I think... her right leg seems different form the left one. the neck is too tense, her pose indicates she is more relaxed.... her neck would look like that on ly if she were clenching her teeth or something like that... Also, fix her pubis, it takes more space than that...

These are all suggestions, if the writing isn't too kind it's only cause I'm doing this fast cause I gotta work :)

alicelefay
06-18-2008, 07:43 PM
Ariel, thank you so much for your precious suggestions :) your "visual explaination" cleared a lot my ideas :D yeees now I understand, I have to put more shadow :D thank you thank you thank you * running as fast as light to make some adjustments to this piece *

CGTalk Moderation
06-18-2008, 07:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.