PDA

View Full Version : Mother Nature, Meats (3D)

meats
05-23-2003, 12:47 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/15128/meats_mothernature_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/15128/meats_mothernature.jpg)

Hi, Here's a new character that I have been working on - Mother Nature. She is fully rigged, including facial blend shapes ready for lip sync animation.

I used Maya 5's new "paintFx to polygons feature" to create the plant "hair". I love the fact that this is possible now - I have been going off with it, I think that it is one of the best things to happen to 3D (for me) in a few years. This character weighs in at about 1.7 million polygons, which is making my geforce 3 to put up a little bit of a fight.. But, ah, the detail, detail, detail....

Mother Nature 3/4 view

http://www.sketchovision.com/web/cgtalk/mn1_meats_800.jpg

Mother Nature Side view

http://www.sketchovision.com/web/cgtalk/mn2_meats_800.jpg

Mother Nature (Winter Version)

http://www.sketchovision.com/web/cgtalk/mn3_meats_800.jpg

I would like to know peoples thoughts before I start to animate, I can all too easily focus on the wrong stuff sitting down here in my basement;)

Also, if you are interested, 41 other versions that were made as I created this model are
HERE (http://www.sketchovision.com/mother/mother_nature.html)

thanks

Darkhayden
05-23-2003, 12:55 AM
:thumbsup: I like this Pic and i would like to see her animated ...

and can you make a Mother Earth damaged by Humans? :applause:

BgDM
05-23-2003, 01:05 AM
WOW!! :eek:

Gorgeous! I have nothing else to say.

Well, yes I do. Front page stuff!! :buttrock:

BgDM

Rivendale
05-23-2003, 01:16 AM
Wow, that is a lot of geometry there! Great stuff!
I'd like to see a wireframe.
Are you using GI, it's hard to tell, but I think it would benefit from a little more. Of course that can easily get too heavy if you plan to animate though.

dg3d
05-23-2003, 01:26 AM
Those are just cool pictures. Great work there in modeling and color using. Very good blending. And congratulations on being on the front page.

BiTMAP
05-23-2003, 01:26 AM
hot damn, paint me bob and call me red!

leigh
05-23-2003, 01:27 AM
THAT IS ABSOLUTELY AMAZING

:applause:

lildragon
05-23-2003, 01:29 AM
Ok meats :bowdown: :arteest: you owe me one dude, get that in Expose like now! We're counting on it :D

salud

Hugh
05-23-2003, 01:32 AM
Do you get the impression that Leigh was impressed? ;)

Stunning work Meats - I still love your style of sculpture - and it's good to see it in a more organic setting.

I love the way the flesh blends into the plants, too - there's no definite point where the legs end....

hypercube
I AGREE THAT IS AWESOME

It is the kind of thing you have to yell about :D

I like some of the other 40 versions too though..the version with the all-green dress/wires/vines seems more plantlike..or springlike..would be cool to see a version for every season. Right now she seems to have all the seasons in her 'normal' state, which is nice too.

goodlag
This is really impressive

Beautifull work!
:drool: :drool: :drool: :applause: :thumbsup:

lildragon
05-23-2003, 01:35 AM
BTW Meats when you submit it to Expose, be sure it doesn't have any type, a signature is fine but you will run the risk of getting it rejected with the type on. :)

kicking, and btw you're on 3dfestival.com as well ;)

salud

swiminguy
05-23-2003, 01:40 AM
hooly crap

this is absolutely amazing

you say that this put up a fight?........how long to render?

insane work here though

Roasturkey
05-23-2003, 01:43 AM
OMG she's beautiful!
:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

Adam
05-23-2003, 01:45 AM
MY GOD THIS IS PERFECT. MEETS YOU DO AMAZING WIRE/BRANCH WORK... SUCH A UNIQUE STYLE

Jozvex
05-23-2003, 01:46 AM
Just incredible!!!

Such a great concept and then created so amazingly!!

The winter version is really creepy though...:surprised

leif3d
05-23-2003, 02:02 AM
That is an awsome show of imagination and art skills....congratulations!!

KolbyJukes
05-23-2003, 02:06 AM
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I'm impressed, You've become something of a celebrity around here, I recognized your style immediately.

-Kol.

skigil
05-23-2003, 02:09 AM
that's beautiful man, but did you ever think about entering a pic into the Expose?

-skigil

Hickory
05-23-2003, 02:13 AM
Holy crappola....nice stuff

Art2
05-23-2003, 02:16 AM
Wow... mother nature is beautiful isn't she...

xasteycracker
05-23-2003, 02:16 AM
Damn that is a great piece of work. i like the other versions as well. but the winter one is the best.:drool: :bowdown:

verbal007
05-23-2003, 02:35 AM
Guess this proves that paint effects for Maya isn't just a "toy" as I've heard some people describe it. God... you definately show off the possiblities.

Remindes me of Chris Landreth's "The End". Can't wait to see what you come up with in animation.

- Jeremy

shaangfx
05-23-2003, 02:40 AM
holy moly! holy cow!

this is stunning! what a concept! cool use of the 3d pack! hey man u r guru..! :bounce: :applause: :thumbsup:

efoo
05-23-2003, 02:59 AM
Excellent work!!man! Maya paint effects rocks!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

show
05-23-2003, 03:01 AM
truely inspirational your work is incredibly unique.

Perhaps the tree branches could use a bit more detail seeing as the paintfx to poly hair is soo incredibly detailed, it kind of makes a few of those branches and the vines around her waist look a bit plain in areas?

Witchy
05-23-2003, 03:06 AM
Wow. That's a fantastic piece. It all fits together really well. :bounce:

raden
05-23-2003, 03:07 AM
Hi Meats,

Excellent showcase of skill and artistry here:applause:
With all of those intricate forms and detaillings...
Yay I wonder how the hell you could even tumble the viewports.

If you ask my thoughts on it, okay here it is (beside the horray I said above):

Her figure, her face and physical built. When I think of word mother or mother nature I would think of a volouptous, fertile and tender sensitive female figure. So I think of something like Maria's (Michaelangelo's Pieta) with fuller breasts (a symbol of ripeness of female sexuality & motherhood)

Anyway its not my works and we are two diffrent people so we may think differently.

:beer:

iBlue
05-23-2003, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by Leigh
THAT IS ABSOLUTELY AMAZING

I second that notion :beer:

js33
05-23-2003, 03:13 AM
Meats,

That is really cool. I like it alot.

Cheers,
JS

GavinG
05-23-2003, 03:18 AM
Your style is unique and amazing, i love it
\

:buttrock:
Gav

jtk77
05-23-2003, 03:20 AM
as always man..haha seek help, pills work.
Naw kidding, thats so badass its sick.
When you going to publish a calander?

impending
05-23-2003, 03:32 AM
ditto to all of the superlatives.

I've spent much time looking at all the versions on your site. I can't think of many (if any) other characters that I would have spent that much time on.

Your creation is mesmerizing !!

Bravo Well Done :thumbsup:

jd

ansonkit
05-23-2003, 03:35 AM
u hv a very detailing sense of creating model...nice...
but for my personal impression, ur design make me feel very uneasy...this is just my opinion, plz dont take harsh feeling on me...overall ur design is very high standard of detailing...

jtk77
05-23-2003, 03:36 AM
acualy parts of it kinda disturbs me too, and really. Thats the best part. I enjoy anyhting that can convey a mood outside of a visual referance.

DDrake
05-23-2003, 03:47 AM
yeah, incredible stuff, but there are some things that catch my eye.

- The ear is a bit strange, at least from some point of views.
- The color of the skin is a bit plastic and unrealistic, i mean, if she is the mother nature , the skin should be more similar to the skin of a tree or a rock... right now it seems too "distant" from the other components on the scene.
- The way the face blends with the wires is a bit poor. Maybe is for the color, but i think that much more thin wires (like veins) could do the job.

great job as always!

facial
05-23-2003, 03:57 AM
:eek: :D :thumbsup: :scream:

lricho
05-23-2003, 03:58 AM
allow me to jump on the bandwagon and add my congratulatory praises :D
:thumbsup:

dark_lotus
05-23-2003, 03:59 AM
Wow, thats just spectacular, like WHOA spectacular.

That should be the front cover of Expose!!

Great Stuff!!!

lmc
05-23-2003, 04:28 AM
Hmmm.....for i design i have ntg to say ....really good work and stylize....:p

Me 2 , can't wait for looking ur animation...

cgman27
05-23-2003, 04:46 AM
Beautiful stills. They have much in the feel of motion. Excellent composition as well. Can't wait for the animation.

cgjie
05-23-2003, 04:51 AM
wow!so cool!
:eek:

wgreenlee1
05-23-2003, 05:23 AM
Perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lunatique
05-23-2003, 05:40 AM
Holy crap! You're like the Geoff Darrow of 3D!

Askhanir
05-23-2003, 05:51 AM
Absolutly amazing ! :surprised :applause:

PascalR
05-23-2003, 05:58 AM
Great design,great modeling/colors,etc...
As usual you made a spectacular job Meats.
I love your style:love:

Pascal

my website (http://www.3dluvr.com/pascalr)

cutepixie
05-23-2003, 06:33 AM
EXCELLENT!!!!!!! :buttrock: :buttrock: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

jason-slab
05-23-2003, 06:34 AM
hmmmm could do with a little more detail i think!

hehe j/k

amazing stuff, i like the third one the most! or wait is it the second one, ummm wait they are all good!!

|jason

Zhalktis
05-23-2003, 06:45 AM
Totaly Awesome! :bounce:
I haven't seen that well detailed work before.

One lil' thing though: The eyes looks a bit artifficial to me.

pencil-head
05-23-2003, 06:48 AM
Beautiful :thumbsup:

the skull seems abit out of place for a mother nature theme. for the winter pics try using grey/blue sort of colour scheme. or make her skin more of a dead corpse sort of look.

everything else is flawless

Kirt
05-23-2003, 06:54 AM
:buttrock: Stunning work.

But, I really think you could finesse the facial expression some and rid her of her plastic like skin. That's the only thing that I see taking away from an otherwise beautiful work of art.

davids
05-23-2003, 07:05 AM
FREAKING CRAZY!!! Hey Meats you get to buy me clean underwear now! :cool: WOW WEEE how long did it take for this amazing piece?!

fandalis
05-23-2003, 07:15 AM
PUSA NAMAN!!! THIS IS TOO PERFERCT!!!!
ANG LUFFFEEEEETTT!!!

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

ONE OF THE BEST!!!! :applause:

ceql
05-23-2003, 07:27 AM
great work :) I really like some of the colours/composition in the other versions too! :applause: :applause:

SirRender
05-23-2003, 07:37 AM
Simply Stunning Work! Would love to see a wireframe shot...

alaklij
05-23-2003, 07:52 AM
Beautiful work. In the second image: the tree she is standing doesn't have the same quality of detail of as the rest of the image.

Also, because there are only a few ends of body parts exposed as flesh, the breasts grab more attention than the rest of the image. Instead of emphasizig the breast area by making the bra cup and half exposed breasts, you could divert attention to other, more important areas of the image. Such as your attention to detail with the Paint FX. All too often we see imagery of voluptuous nude females or judiciously chosen body parts exposed, only to find people like it because CGtalk is 98% male heterosexuals. I don't think Meier needs beautiful breasts to make a beautiful piece. It is iconographically underdeveloped to make the decision to expose breast over any other body part. Why not the abdomen? It is the area in which all humans grow from the female figure, and other mammals too. If there is a need for fertility icons, I think all fertility options should be investigated and exploited.

I'm not trying to make a shot at the artist. I'm just trying to point out the consistencies of CGTalk, and I'm questioning if they need to be catered towards.

panta
05-23-2003, 08:05 AM
Y-O-U A-R-E A T-R-U-E A-R-T-I-S-T!!!
one of the few...

awesome job!!!!

when will you explain us your stunning wires technique? :shrug: :wavey:

xeno
05-23-2003, 08:21 AM
amazing....almost makes u wanna cry :) very very very beautiful!!!

Pinionist
05-23-2003, 08:50 AM
This is how 3D Art schould look..detailed.

noiser
05-23-2003, 08:52 AM
Absolutely perfect... :love:

MedusasHead
05-23-2003, 09:04 AM
Simply one of the best works I`ve seen in my LIFE!
I can`t believe it...

Oktavian
05-23-2003, 09:19 AM
I'll take my hat off ! :thumbsup:

grihan
05-23-2003, 09:38 AM
Very good idea and execution....I like it very much...I'm thinking in using Maya, I need to test Paint FX....hopelly 3dmax have it... :(

bjoern
05-23-2003, 09:38 AM
faaaantastic!!:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

regards
bjoern

mo_pic
05-23-2003, 09:43 AM
Your work is amazing.
butI just want to say a few things that might be helpful.

If youre planning to do 4 versions of mother nature for every season , I would suggest that you make her look like a young girl in the spring time, mature woman in summer, older woman in the autumn and death in the winter.

love the way the flesh blends into the plants, too - there's no definite point where the legs end....

well I dont agree.
I get the impression that shes wearing a dress. I think if youre a going for such a detailed modeling, you could show how the organic/plant parts blend with the flesh. For example the branches could go through her arm like tendons and skin could gradually blend into bark.

Just suggestions.

I would also like to know how you model all the complex stuff. Its all mesh!
Is it just work, work, work or do you know some shortcut.
I think that many people would like to know how you do it. Maybe a tutorial section on your web site.

mv
05-23-2003, 09:44 AM
Truly astounding.. very unique. Can't wait to see an animation.
But I agree with Kirt, the face isn't the best thing in the piece.

RiotManZ
05-23-2003, 10:02 AM
:thumbsup: everything is said!

KotsVlok
05-23-2003, 10:08 AM
*hands over a giant cake to meats*

Dude, you rock...this is so beautifull, love every single bit about her :eek:

lildragon
05-23-2003, 11:03 AM
whoa whoa heheh let me throw this in there before it's too late :)

Please be sure to enter your images into Expose also, I mean it or else ;) http://www.cgtalk.com/expose

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Stunning work.

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_may03_2.jpg

P.S. Please email me @ tito@cgnetworks.com for the award .psd file

salud

Mr_BUG
05-23-2003, 12:09 PM
Impressive, and you know, this is not just a "hey 'mazing stuff" as ever, but your work is more than this. This is emotionnal and artistic, this is really rare.

psil
05-23-2003, 12:36 PM
ditto all the above:applause: :applause:

..and that paint fx hair is such a nice original touch

2nd render is my new wallpaper (hope u don't mind) - thx:beer:

brianellebracht
05-23-2003, 12:44 PM
amazing work Meats!!! Yet another award ;) hope things are going ok, send an email my way when you get a chance! Looks great,
Brian Ellebracht

I animate
05-23-2003, 12:50 PM
Meats, as always, you take my breath away. I've been a fan of yours for some time now.

Would you ever consider doing a tutorial on how you get that fantastic wireframe look to your work?

Please, pretty please? :hmm:

HapZungLam
05-23-2003, 01:46 PM
how did you make it? don't tell me that you modeled everysingle wire. But other than that, i really can't think of another way of making it.

Hugh
05-23-2003, 01:48 PM
I seem to remember him talking about this before....

He places the wires with curves, and then extrudes circles along them

tmcbroome
05-23-2003, 02:01 PM
I freakin' love these!!!... Your work has touched me in way few other CG works have.

It has a style, life, and vision that is usually lacking. Please keep them coming.

medula
05-23-2003, 02:30 PM
Meats,

As always, your work continues to blow me away. Refreshing and original.

Like I asked several month ago... When Can I buy some art from you? I want to hang your work on my wall with your signature on it. PLease advise! See my profile about contacting me.

xynaria
05-23-2003, 02:48 PM
....but,but....but......how she become a mother with all those things sticking out of her,....must make it like really hard to get biblical innit. :p

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

gema
05-23-2003, 02:52 PM
How long did it take to paint all this? Very nice paintings!

Grugi
05-23-2003, 03:44 PM
:surprised :surprised :surprised

:surprised :eek: :surprised :eek:

Daniel Beaudry
05-23-2003, 04:32 PM
Holly mother of god! :surprised

jtk77
05-23-2003, 04:34 PM
gema , you're right, it does look like a painting.
How do you do your textures Meats? Do you paint them and scan or paint them in photoshop to get that soft painterly feel as oppsed to the hard ultra real photographical methouds?

dongdong~2002
05-23-2003, 05:16 PM
good! very cool! I like !д⣬뷨:eek:

meats
05-23-2003, 05:23 PM
Wow, just woke up, and so many great replies - I appreciate it so much, it gives me courage to "go off" even more on my future works. And another CG talk award - I must have done something right in my past life...:)

Lil-Dragon - I uploaded a few versions to Expose' - now I just have to hope for the best. Thanks for the interest..

A few people have asked for wire frames, not too exciting, but here goes:
http://www.sketchovision.com/web/cgtalk/mn_wire.jpg
Curves - my main modeling tool:
http://www.sketchovision.com/web/cgtalk/mn_curves.jpg

My main process is creating the basic form in polygons, making it live and creating curves that stick to the surface. Then I extrude the curves into tubes and weave them together. Also, I attach paintFX strokes to the curves and turn them into polygons. I am planning an extensive tutorial, but first I need to do one on matchmoving, as I get a great deal of email from people interested in that....

This series took me about three weeks all together, I started it about a month and a half ago, and have worked on it in my spare time. I had to crank to finish it, as Jim Lammers wanted to print it in his new "Maya 5 Fundamentals book".

Lunatique - I admit I had to do a search on Geoff Darrow, but once I learned more about him I have to say "Thanks"!

Jtkk - All of the textures in this image are procedual, except for the face and of course the textures created automatically by paintfx. And thanks for showing my animations on your tv show!

Unfortunately, I don't have time to comment on everyone's post's, but be sure that I have taken every one to heart - I have said it before, but this site is an excellent resource, for a guy like me who works alone with no one to bounce ideas off of or get feedback from:thumbsup:

mindstate7
05-23-2003, 05:24 PM
Oh my freaking gor. This kicks ass!!!!!!!

Vrolfak
05-23-2003, 05:27 PM
Absolutely awesome, really good stuff.

i like a tol mother nature 21 and 27.

CheerS!

qwertyhuh
05-23-2003, 05:52 PM
hey looks good. my only comment is on the winter, the skull looks flat like a texture only. and i would like to see like tree roots coming out of her head.

bye beyond
Lyle

meats
05-23-2003, 06:02 PM
Hey Lyle- long time no see!

Yea, I probably need to rework or fully realise all of the seasons..the skull is complete geometry, just does probably need better lighting..

Yea, sad about Beyond Games going down, but I've heard things might be happening, I have faith in them....times are tough for a lot of game companies right now - even Micro$oft is laying off people:thumbsdow

Poisen
05-23-2003, 07:26 PM
great stuff!
always love your work, the piping style on your other stuff is fantastic. but i agree on the comments on the head, it looks just like the default character settings on the SI face generator software,texture included, which is why the texture and the ear looks funny. but other than that, really good paint fx work!

Michael Chen
05-24-2003, 04:45 AM
I think it's pretty abstract :)

Keep up the good work :buttrock:

skigil
05-24-2003, 05:00 AM
hey man, i LOVE your winter version of the Mother Nature character.

is there anyway i could get a poster, or even a "print" of that?

let me know.
skigil@hotmail.com

-skigil

cgjie
05-24-2003, 06:12 AM
Your work is so cool and just amazing!

:cool:

kilroy
05-24-2003, 03:33 PM
sweet... actualy thats all i got to say about it that is just perfect :eek:

Nakalay
05-24-2003, 05:01 PM
Amazing! :bounce: :drool: :love:

LaoDong
05-24-2003, 05:39 PM
fantastic!!!!

JulianJohnson
05-24-2003, 06:25 PM
hi there meats well done that's really great work, its always a pleasure to see your work.

nomad_girl
05-24-2003, 07:54 PM
First I would say that I think these images are incredibly beautiful and and have a tremendous attention to detail which gives them great color and texture.

I would also say that what I see right now is little or no integration between the body of the figure and the hair/costume. It appears additive right now- maybe this is your intention-- You can really see what I am talking about in #37 on your website where those stalks come out of her temples. It is not so obvious when you have all sorts of blossoms and stuff covering this up-- in like say #30.

Your images would be even stronger if there was more of a connection between the costume and the body. I think it should be one and the same thing--maybe the curves of the dress(?) and the stems in the hair should actually wrap around her face- down to her neck and then also wrap around her arms becoming her fingers- and also down her legs becoming her feet/toes. I realize that the contrast between the skin and the costume is one of the strengths of the character- but I think they can be integrated to transition from one to the other-- in a subtle way, and maintain the dramatic contrast.

That is what Mother Nature is about right? she gives birth to life- so that is why I think that the stems/plants should look like she is giving life to them- (not appear like they are just stuck on) they should emerge from her- while at the same time sustaining her--

just my thoughts.

Beautiful work. I look forward to seeing more.

Boone
05-24-2003, 10:54 PM
Zeus himself should make you into a constelation!!!:bowdown:

liQu1d
05-25-2003, 12:41 AM
looks very nice :applause:

Fred Heys
06-11-2003, 10:18 AM
Ok that is just absolutely amazing, sweet detail and an original concept too, well done!!!

dimitrios_c
06-11-2003, 10:52 AM
All awesome, though I like the top one with heaps of leaves... I'd love to see what the paint fx looks like animated..phwoor!!! :beer: :bounce: :beer: :bounce: :beer: :bounce: :drool:

Intonater
06-12-2003, 02:47 AM
Wonderful design,strange & beautiful.:bounce:

krivakhranostaj
06-12-2003, 08:30 AM
AMAZING WORK!!!!!!!
it is so real I dont belive it

Vash T Stampede
06-12-2003, 01:28 PM
WOW!

warmup
06-12-2003, 03:31 PM
Puufffff!!!, I don't have words :drool: It's simply shocking. Do you have any intencion to animate it?. I'd like to see something moving :D

Good work

meats
06-12-2003, 03:45 PM
Wow, this thread was resurected?

Thanks for all of the nice comments.

Because of all of the great comments and suggestions on this board, I have decided to go to phase 2 with this project and do 4 more final images - a more in-depth version of each of the seasons, with more focus on what makes each season what it is...

But first I need to finish about three other projects that I started after this one...:)

brianellebracht
06-12-2003, 03:55 PM
I am in the same boat you are Meats, To many projects, to little time... :)
Brian

meats
06-12-2003, 04:22 PM
Yep, life is good!
It beats a lot of time and no projects, for sure:thumbsup:

stv
06-12-2003, 05:00 PM
You great man. As usual.

LazyJenny
06-12-2003, 11:17 PM
:thumbsup:
These are amazingly done. The winter version makes me a little sad, though.
I rather see it as Mother Nature is asleep during the winter, and not nearly (or entirely) dead.
But that, of course, is the point with artistical freedom. Great picture!

friedmike
06-24-2003, 06:03 PM
Great idea on using your metallic wire modeling style with vines found in nature! You really have a unique style! Really works with the 'nature' theme.

singleguy
07-24-2003, 01:33 PM
nice work should always stay in the front.:applause:

Kadastrophic
11-04-2004, 12:19 AM
Mother knows best!! Neat I like the poses.

Climax
11-05-2004, 05:09 AM
Geez! is amazing, Lovely design, the only thing i don't really like is the feet in image #2, other than that everything is greatly compensated, those paint effects are one of the most beautifull features of Maya! I wish max had them too :thumbsup:

psycho1
11-29-2004, 03:10 PM
wow just wow thats all i have to say awsome.:twisted:

Concept-Mutt
12-03-2004, 08:09 PM
wow, no crits, just wow...

fluids
03-17-2005, 10:11 PM
that is truly amazing. i have never seen anything like it. how long did this take you? this is some of the best 3D ever!!

BioDroid
12-08-2005, 08:47 AM
Thats Salvia Divinorum.

CGTalk Moderation
12-08-2005, 08:47 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.