PDA

View Full Version : Pooby - Unofficial Eye Rigging Challenge wip

pooby
06-17-2008, 11:45 AM
I had a bit of time today, and I've wanted to apply my surface-based understructure technique to an eye for a while, so heres a WIP.

http://www.mediafire.com/?zcoj1i0jnab

Its really just a start, but I dont know if I'll continue as I found that there wasn't enough eyelid geometry to give a nice shut eye look.
However, I'm pretty pleased with the squashyness around the eye, which is what I was after.

Roughly what's going on is..

The eyeball is parented to Null A which is directionally constrained to a 'Look' null

A Nurbs surface is placed over the eye and slightly enveloped (skinned) to Null A

Some deformer and 'anchor' Nulls are constrained to the Nurbs surface

There are some expressions which record the distances between some of these nulls.

Clusters on curves are constrained to some of the 'anchor' nulls and other deformer nulls are constrained to the curves by percentage along the curve. ( I call them anchor nulls because one end of the curve is attached to them)

A lattice bulges the skin around the pupil.

Shape (morphs) animation drives certain bulging etc under the eye and these are automatically driven by the distance expressions above and the direction the eye is pointing in.

Smoothing operations also occur in various places surrounding the eye and these are also driven by the amount of stretch between nulls (recorded in the expressions)

BryanSilva
06-18-2008, 05:57 PM
Hello, I am the artist who created the geometry you are working with. I like what you have going on so far. My only critique is that right now you don't have the eyelid rolling out from the flesh above the eye. You have the flesh above the eyelid behaving as the eyelid should. Try and let the eye lid be animated this way and have the flesh above the eyelid move but not as much as it does now. Feel free to add loops if necessary to create a round shape when eyelids are closed.

instruct9r
06-29-2008, 02:56 PM
very nice man... congrats :applause:

pooby
07-01-2008, 01:35 PM
I fiddled a little bit more to get more of a lid but didn't add any more geometry. It's not perfect, but works a bit better.

xenoid
07-01-2008, 03:06 PM
looking really good!

pooby
07-04-2008, 07:41 AM
thanks very much

CGTalk Moderation
07-04-2008, 07:41 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.