PDA

View Full Version : A complicated render layer question

spngebob111
06-16-2008, 09:33 PM
Hey guys,

Im working with maya 2008 and after effects

Ok, Is it possible to render out an animation with various scenes into layers and place them all into a composition package and then decide to an a character into specific scenes through some automated way .

i.e If I make an animation, put into into after effects and then decide I want to add a character into certain scenes. Can I go back render the character only in all my seperate scenes ( I wanted to automate this by some sort of script ?) and then add the character to my entire animation at once.

Please let me know if theres anything you dont understand and i'll be glad to rephrase it.

Thanks again,

overEZ
06-18-2008, 11:20 PM
You can easily put your character on a render layer, but you can just as easily import your character into the scene and save the entire scene separately, and also render separately. Render layers are just an easy way to combine scenes together into one scene so you can batch render many different passes in one shot. Hope that helps!

spngebob111
06-23-2008, 11:50 PM
Thanks for you reply overEZ :)

So from what you've said would I be able to make various scenes with the character in question on a render layer . Then just render out the scene and and If later I decide I want the character all i have to do is just render him ?

overEZ
06-25-2008, 07:10 AM
yes, you can render the character alone (with alpha channel, no background) or as part of the scene, just by hiding or revealing the other objects. This is possible regardless of render layers. I think you may be confusing Render Layers with Display Layers...

CGTalk Moderation
06-25-2008, 07:10 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.