PDA

View Full Version : Follicles jump around the poly

Defonten
06-16-2008, 06:34 PM
Hi,

Here's my problem - I have an animated character, its spine and head are covered with long hair. When I try to animate it some follicles around deforming geometry suddenly jump from place to place around the area of the poly they grow from. I just can't figure out what is the problem.. Any help would be much appreciated.

Duncan
06-19-2008, 08:22 PM
One problem is that quad splitting can affect the uv interpolation across a quad (a quad can be split into triangles in two ways). The best fit method can cause the split to change during deformation, which could lead to a slight pop in position, as the follicles are position based on UVs. On the mesh shape make "quadSplit" either left or right, instead of "best shape". (Note that this attribute was only added in Maya 8.5, before that it was always 'best shape")

Alternately you may have a setup that changes the tessellation more dramatically than simply changing the quad split. Fixing the triangulation would thus help, instead of having it shape adaptive.

One other possibility is that the follicle lies very close to a uv discontinuity, and precision changes cause it to jump around. Editing the uv slightly of such a problem follicle would help in this case.

Duncan

Defonten
06-21-2008, 09:57 AM
Thanks Duncan! I'll try it today.

CGTalk Moderation
06-21-2008, 09:57 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.