PDA

View Full Version : Learning Group

Wilexx
06-16-2008, 03:58 PM
So as you can see im new to the forums on cgsociety and im also fairley new to 3d Modelling and Animation.

I thought it would be a good idea to have a group where newbies can go and discuss there projects with each other,reccomend books,make mini challenges that arent to hard for us.We could communicate through Msn or right here on the forums.

So what do you guys think...Will all this hassle make the learning process longer or will it help us?

If anyone is interested please Pm me,Thanks!

softdistortion
06-16-2008, 09:34 PM
Did you notice there are plans to do something like this on collabunlimited.com?
I could use the help of a few more motivated people newbies and pros to kik it off this late summer/fall.

It is a good idea, and it does help to speed you skill level increase to be working on a project with a team or at least a partner.

The idea is growing ....might take a while yet, but so far I have seen quite a few people saying they want this type of thing...it's just the hurdle of getting people to start commiting themselves to start a collab revolution.

Hmooboi06
06-17-2008, 04:55 PM
yeah. i do think this is a good idea. it definitly will help to increase the skill set of people who are interested in this field because there are some people who can't afford get a good education but have great skill. so having something like this around will help them out.

Wilexx
06-18-2008, 04:34 PM
Thanks soft,I will be definintly be joining that website :)

softdistortion
06-19-2008, 01:22 PM
Thanks Alex, every bit helps...in fact, since your positive reply, a handful more members have joined! :wip:

DRSC
06-27-2008, 08:26 PM
good thread. has my support. I'll be joining Soft's website as mentioned. but at the same time, networking with some experienced people is of always a value. any one has Yahoo/MSN/AIM?

softdistortion
07-02-2008, 02:47 PM
glad to hear you are also coming onboard!

In regards to site, I could still use some input from you guys on what exactly you would like to see happen at collabunlimited...I have a plan, but I would rather see it be a public collab site, "your" site.

For example, when you say you would like to network, what would you like to get out of that experience? general chit chat, tips, a resource to PM and and ask for help??

PM, email, or post your thoughts here. :deal:

Wilexx
07-02-2008, 03:29 PM
Weekly sketches a portfollio system like on here,Afew classes or courses for free :P

TheFreak
07-02-2008, 08:13 PM
Hey Guys,

I am up for this too, just realised I had not registered for you site yet either SD :P Oops, it has been sorted now though.

Anyway let me know how I can help on this one too, I am looking to do something but my muse seems to have gone on holiday..... :(

Cheers

softdistortion
07-03-2008, 05:10 PM
Thanks guys!

Willexx- for sketches you're thinking 2d?
That could work if enough people come round.
Does CGT have weekly sketches in 2d...you have any thoughts on how to make them a bit different?

For example, I'd like to see the collabunlimited draw a very wide range of artistic talent, and get those people collaborating together....so one thought I've had for a long time, is to have ongoing challenges that work their way through the areas that would be involved in a normal CG movie development. Starting from the story script all the way through to the final clip/movie.

Maybe the 2D sketches could be used to help create the concepting? the best would go into the next phases of modeling, animating etc?

That way your work has a chance of doing something other than sitting in your portfolio, plus you would be adding to your resume at the same time. :)

-------------

The Freak and I were talking on MSN yesterday and discussed some ideas to do this....he has a fantastic character he's developed into a cartoon style model and render. He also has some ripping funny stories that could be developed into fantastic humorous miniclips.

If he gets time, he's thinking to do a "making of" about how he created this character.
We both thought it would be cool to turn it into a full concept to final clip series to show how that concept might work.

After that we could expand it to get it open to involve more people. :buttrock:

softdistortion
07-03-2008, 05:13 PM
Hey Guys,

I am up for this too, just realised I had not registered for you site yet either SD :P Oops, it has been sorted now though.

Anyway let me know how I can help on this one too, I am looking to do something but my muse seems to have gone on holiday..... :(

Cheers

Good to have you officially onboard!

Thanks again for taking time to lob a few ideas around on MSN.
I really think once a few more creative types join in on this it will spiral into something very exciting. :)

polypic
07-21-2008, 04:46 PM
very good idea
i`m too
so what is the project ?

waiting 4 update

CGTalk Moderation
07-21-2008, 04:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.