PDA

View Full Version : want to link shape from shape man to translation of nurbs curve... please help!

BigLips
06-16-2008, 12:29 PM
Hey guys,
Iím stuck trying to put together a lil rig for a character in XSI, basically I want to link a shape Iíve created in the shape manager to morph my model with the translation of a nurbs curve, I cant seem to find the keyable attribute for my newly created shape in the explorer so I can select it and add it to the driven side of my link editor. Any ideas how to get around this problem, Iím usually a Maya man and am slowly becoming very frustrated as this is usually a very straight forward task!

Would appreciate the help, thanks!

mattmos
06-16-2008, 12:52 PM
Process is pretty streamlined these days:

Have your shape manager open and locked on the animation tab showing the shape you want to connect, select the nurbs curve you want to link to, now back in shape manager right-click on green divot and select 'link with'

It should bring up a link with dialogue box with the nurbs object selected, and listing which parameters you want to link to - ie posx, posy etc. Then just do the usual 'set relative values' which you can read about in the help (F1)

tc
06-17-2008, 02:45 AM
If you wanna do exactly like in maya it's View>Animation>Parameter Connection Editor.
Select the Driving Source and the Driven.
Set to Link with, click link, move the thing, set relative values. you are done.

Thats pretty straight forward... don't know why you find it so complicated.

Now if you wanna do XSI way... just drag and drop one animation divot to another holding alt.

Heres a 46 seconds video showing all that: http://community.softimage.com/showthread.php?t=425

BigLips
06-17-2008, 10:55 AM
thanks mattmos, that was a big help! tc i was doing exactly what you said (as I pointed out in my post before), rather my problem was that i couldn't find the keyable attribute connected to my newly sculpted shape in the shape manager that i could link my driven object to, as selecting the shape node in the explorer didn't allow me to set keys on the shape.

thanks anyway tc, and cheers again mattmos!

mattmos
06-17-2008, 11:22 AM
No worries - actually I hadn't picked up on the holding down alt trick with drag and drop linking, so thanks tc, makes life easier! (was editing direct expressions before to add the link with function)

CGTalk Moderation
06-17-2008, 11:22 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.