PDA

View Full Version : another soldier for my portfolio.. (wip)

Stygian
05-22-2003, 09:49 PM
Hey guys heres another one I spent about twice the time on this one. I'm bucking for an internship so rip this one a new a$$ and if you are already a pro please crit it . I'm afraid if I tweak this one much more I'll screw it up .

http://stygianstudios.com/images/test_03.jpg

Sketch23
05-22-2003, 09:52 PM
Nice work so far, Stygian. My main crit would be his arms... they look too small. Also they look like sausage links. Place your curves against your straights and it will fix this problem. Also grab an anatomy book and tweak them till they look right. Keep going:)

Stygian
05-22-2003, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Sketch23
Place your curves against your straights and it will fix this problem.

whats this mean I'm afraid I don't understand :) thank you for the crit BTW

Pizza
05-23-2003, 01:49 AM
the collar also seems to stick out a bit much in my opinion.. I havnt see the pictures u used for refs so i wouldnt really know.. But im liking the face/helmet. Looks very good.

Sorceror Bob
05-23-2003, 04:12 PM
Not bad so far, I think my biggest gripe is the inefficiency of the mesh.

There are alot of polies in there that are really doing nothing to the shape of the mesh. I'd clean them up, define the shape - adding polies where needed, then lastly, adding detail (pockets etc).

I also think you could define your joints better.. The shoulders, elbow and knees I think could use some work, and in some cases, I think they'll deform quite badly when animating.

Check www.fineart.sk out for anatomy and muscle ref. The arms could use a bit of work :).

Lastly, the hands, they look very flat, maybe you could model it in a more natural pose?

Anyways, good work, hope my rambling is some help.

Stygian
05-23-2003, 09:59 PM
OK I took your crits and made some adjustments I've tried simplifying the mesh in places where I could without losing detail and I've adjusted the arms and the collar ..
http://stygianstudios.com/images/test_04.jpg :wip:

Witchy
05-24-2003, 02:02 AM
Depending on what era you are going for his helmet is a bit narrow-I thought Vietnam when I first saw it but am not sure- modern peacekeeper maybe? In either case the 'lid' is not wide enough and is not quite the right shape.

This is a Vietnam era helmet- as they were worn with liners you can see they were actually quite big;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/715000/images/_718412_marine150.jpg

If you are going for a more modern soldier you might want to look for some references- different armies have different equipment; the US army's 'fritz' helmet is a disctinctive shape and the British Army have several types, for example.

The trousers seem a bit bulgy and at the bottom where they are tucked under (using elastics or ties for example) they would be folded under not stretching down.

The boots also don't look bulky enough from the front. The flak jacket is a bit thin and does not have a 'bulk' look either. A lot of military kit is actually quite bulky and not that convenient to wear. Try looking at a few military surplus sites for ideas. It might be an idea to take a specific picture from a specific era and army and model from that if you want to be militarily accurate.

Don't get me wrong I don't think it is a bad model but it depends how accurate you want to be. In general terms it might just help to think about the weight and bulk of military kit.

zworp
05-24-2003, 04:29 AM
looks good, but you might want to,
clean up the mesh a bit, and if you really want to impress them, tristrip your mesh better.

takoX
05-24-2003, 11:33 AM
The only thing I have to add which hasn't already been mentioned is that you need to optimize the head and the neck area more. There are too many segements around the neck and the collar of the vest. Also, if you intend to show facial animations, you should clean up the facial topology. If not, just get rid of some of the polys around the face.

Good luck with your internship tryout.

--
JK

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.