PDA

View Full Version : Game content makers model viewing software.

Magian
06-16-2008, 02:45 AM
I am very new to XSI and I have been having trouble getting the OpenGL Preview mode to work correctly. I am concerned that this may be a common issue (I am trying to get a alpha map to show in the OpenGL Preview mode, please see my other thread in SoftimageXSI forum if you might be able to help) and I am curious to know what everyone else uses to view their models as they work on them.

Of course, I realize that the best two alternatives would probably be XSI and the engine that you are using. But I am wondering if I have any good alternatives in case I cannot get the OpenGL problem resolved on this machine.

Respectfully,
Darren

EDIT: I just realized that my first post, which I referred to in the first paragraph of this post, did not show up. Apparently it has to be approved before it will appear. I apologize for the confusion.

Strang
06-16-2008, 08:10 PM
do you want to see texture mapped transparency in the viewport?

Magian
06-16-2008, 08:32 PM
Yes, I would prefer to see it in the viewport.

tc
06-17-2008, 03:36 AM
Render>material>OGL alpha transparency.

This will put a realtime shader in the selected object. If you don't want to override the material of the object, you can access this node through the Render Tree in Nodes>RealtimeOGL>more...
then select OGLAlphaTrans.

Plug your map in the end of the tree. and thats it.

Realtime are a bit tricky in XSI, but the difference is that you can do whatever you want to do with them.

about Realtime Shaders in the help: http://softimage.wiki.avid.com/xsidocs/realtime_conc_RealtimeShaders.htm#Rfb13635

Magian
06-17-2008, 04:06 AM
tc

I have already read the manual regarding realtime shaders and I had already did what you suggested. After adding the alpha map (which seemed to remove all the other textures created by Ultimapper) when I tried to orbit around the object it just flickered. Please refer to my post here (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=24&t=643084) to read the details and for a link to a screenshot that I took of the render tree. The only thing that I did differently was to add the alpha map after the texture map and before the normal map. I will, of course, try as you suggested to put it at the very end.

Nevertheless, I thank you very much for taking your time to read about my problem and to respond.

Respectfully,
Darren

UPDATE---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I disconnected the alpha node and connected it to the end node as you suggested and voila! I still have a couple of issues, such as why it made the other nodes cooked by Ultimapper disappear and why is it making another area of the geometry transparent that is not covered by the alpha map and whose UVs do not overlap at all.

Anyway, I can't tell you how much I appreciate your response. I have fought with this problem for several days and I have been really disgusted with it. Still not perfect but at least I have hope.

UPDATE---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The nodes didn't disappear they were simply disconnected. I was so tired last night that all I saw was that the textures were no longer appearing on the mesh.

Anyway, when I plugged the textures back I discovered that I had the same problem as before with the flickering and the alpha map not working. I tried moving the nodes around again and I finally tried bypassing the cubic texture and several other nodes produced by the ultimapper. An image of this render tree can be found here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/10263769@N02/2588543731/). Now the textures are all there and the alpha map is working. However, there is still one little problem: the when the camera orbits to a view where the transparent part of the mesh is in front of another part of the mesh that is not supposed to be transparent then it becomes transparent, too.

Getting closer...

Thanks again for all the help.

CGTalk Moderation
06-17-2008, 04:06 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.