PDA

View Full Version : How to track a hand for wolverine claw effect in Boujou

xeno
05-22-2003, 09:20 PM
Hello all! I have a question here, as a testrun for a short movie i will be making, i wanted to recreate wolverines claws (or something similar) extruding from a hand in 3d. The hand however, is moving, since the person will be moving its arm upwards. The problem lies with the tracking of the hand. I have acces to Boujou, although i do not own it myself (perhaps, if i win the lottery... :D) but i just cant get any right results. I have tried tracking just the hand, by matting out the rest of the scene, but that didnt work, since it just didnt get enough info. I ve tried placing some markers, but that didnt work either (i even tried a close up and dint get any good results)

I just have no clue how to do this, or how it was done in the real Xmen movie. With a closeup it finds way too few tracking points, so is it even possible to track it when we see the person as a whole??

Or do i have to look at a completely different package to do this, such as after fx?

Tnx in advance!

FabioMSilva
05-22-2003, 10:33 PM
it should be the same as tracking a lightsaber(cable). for my self i track it Frame by frame(real pain in the ass). But as far as i know Combustion2 can track the movement of a layer(by colour type if im not mistaken) automaticly. Im not sure on how to do it tought, but ive seen it in the tutorials on the cd package. So if u got combustion2 go look for it

xeno
05-22-2003, 11:55 PM
Im afraid i only have acces to after effects, would u happen to know any subject related tutorials for after fx?
Also, would it be possible to track it in such an app, given the fact that the claw is a 3d model?

beaker
05-23-2003, 03:38 AM
Boujou is for camera tracking, not really for tracking other objects in the scene.

The best way would be to create a digital intermediate object (cg hand similar in shape to the real one in the video/film) and match the movement of the hand with the cgi hand and use that as reference for the movement of the object comming out of the hand. You want to load up the frames of the animation in your 3d package and map it on an image plane and use that as reference to match the motion.

xeno
05-23-2003, 09:28 AM
aaargh!! And i was hoping thered be an easy way out...well i guess im stuck on this one. I will try however to duplicate the hand and match it by hand. Tedious work, but i have to get this done..tnx for the help :)

chrisz
05-23-2003, 03:15 PM
it will be more easy if you will wait for MATCH MOVER 3 :(
because fro what i know there is only one program who dose object traking but i dont recall the name right now ( DD are the initials)

joconnell
05-23-2003, 03:53 PM
If you are using max then look into scene genie - it's got a really good object tracker. Failing that then I'd say to put some markers on the hand and measure them (even a little flat white square stuck onto the hand - paint it out in post) then re-make the reference object in 3d and hand track it. It's difficult for the first shot but gets much easier the more you do it. If you are hand tracking a shot, the best way to do it is match up the first frame and the last frame. Play the animation and see how it matches. If it's wrong go to the middle frame and match it up again. play the animation. If it's wrong then go to the frame in the middle of your first and second keys, then again to your second and third keys, matching the object up again. By continually halving the keyframes you'll get closer and closer to your object.

xeno
05-23-2003, 05:12 PM
Im afraid i dont use Max..I will look for an object tracking program tho but i guess it will be keyframing in the end..Tnx again for the help!

NESEL*
05-23-2003, 08:26 PM
3D Equalizer is your solution.

LESEN*

xeno
05-23-2003, 11:42 PM
will check it out! tnx! Btw, i tried doing it manual, im using Cinema 4D btw, it gave me an ok result, but not really satisfying, ill look into this program!

edit: Damn...it looks pretty good, but it doesnt support cinema 4d, so im screwed..I was hoping this would be the definite solution :)

dg
05-28-2003, 09:33 AM
3D Equalizer is the way :)

But not to simple to set and use

xeno
05-28-2003, 08:20 PM
like i said..i use cinema4d....equalizer dont support c4d...

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.