PDA

View Full Version : Open 24 Hours, Eric Camden (3D)

x2ego
06-15-2008, 07:09 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/201730/201730_1213556966_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/201730/201730_1213556966_large.jpg)

Title: Open 24 Hours
Name: Eric Camden
Software: Animation Master

This started out as a picture from a vacation in Arizona. Looking back on it, I decided it would be a good excercise in modeling and texturing.

The background image is a photo I took in Sedona, California. The foreground is all modeled in 3D with most of the textures created in Photoshop.

Since it was done in Animation Master, I decided to make up a little story where Thom, AM's mascot, gets lost in the desert and hopes to find a cold soda in the lonely grocery store.

Enjoy

frimoose
06-16-2008, 04:16 PM
This is surely looking pretty nice!

One thing i noticed is the bump of the roof over the skull is a bit harsh.
The tire and the bottom left of the building look really good.
But the wood with the mohawk mini mart seems a bit flat.
other than that the doors seem atoo thin (not large enough) but maybe they are done like that in south usa lol i dont know.
And the photo in the back with the mountains looks a bit pasted.
maybe if you would add noise in your 3d render with photoshop it would match more together because the quality of the backround photo is not as good as your render.

Like the image a lot!
CHEERS!

flatulentFuzz
06-16-2008, 05:13 PM
Like frimoose said,the doors are a large part of your problem,and could be a little wider.

I absolutely love your texturing,and the random weeds are a really nice touch.What I think its lacking is better lighting,because lots of parts look like theyre lacking the depth certain light gives.
I dont know why,but the left(right in the image) part of the buidling looks much less realistic than the front

x2ego
06-16-2008, 05:38 PM
Thank you for the constructive criticism; finally something I can work with. When I make changes to an image and I want to reflect those changes here, do I just delete the original and put in the new, or...?

The dimensions of the doors are actually within an inch of the original. This building is close to 100 years old and was built with whatever was available. I wouldn't be surprised if the doors were made on site. For compositional purposes, I may try and widen them to see the overall effect.

Yes, the wood behind the Mohawk sign is too flat. I applied bump and displacement maps, but rushed that a bit, so the outcome is not what was intended. I'll take care of that.

I may have an idea of why the left side of the building is detracting from the scene. If you look at the three boards that are warping away from the facade, I tried to fake the void beneath by just pasting a black decal under them. A cheat which did not work. I'll take care of that too.

I could use some general help on the lighting. This was done in AM, so I don't have a lot of sophisticated lighting tools at my disposal. The setup is really simple: Ambient Occlusion with one sun light casting shadows. Maybe a bounce light would help, I'm not sure, but I'll play around with it.

Again, thank you for the very helpful critique. This is what I'm looking for and what will make me a better CG artist. I'll post an updated image soon.

p0t4t0ch1p5
06-19-2008, 02:19 PM
That's really cool, dude..

CGTalk Moderation
06-19-2008, 02:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.