PDA

View Full Version : controllers - joint orientation

satanatron
06-15-2008, 01:45 AM
Just curious how people give joint orientation to a controller when rigging in maya? I can get the controllers to have the right orientation, however, when I freeze transforms they obviously reset. I've also been trying a way which involves assigning groups to the controllers with the Group node holding all the information of the transforms and orientation of the Cube and the Cube itself has none. But that also is bugging out when I try to parent the controllers to each other. I would build the joints..crete a contorller..create group..parent contrain joint to group ( maintain offset off ) ...delete parent constraint...parent constrain controller to joint ( maintain offset on )....the problem is, when i now start to parent to groups to each other I cant select the controllers in the scene to move the rig ( I have to select the groups in the outliner ).....

djx
06-15-2008, 08:19 AM
I hope I understand your question...

I use both joints and groups as controllers. I do use a heirarchy (much like you described) so that the actual controller can have zero transforms in it's default position. (With joints you can do this for rotations due to the orient attributes, but you are still stuck with the transforms).

I think the only thing you are missing is that you can parent shapeNodes to the groups or the joints. That way you have something to select in the viewport and dont have to resort to the outliner.

Try this. Create a sphere. Select its shape node and then shift-select your controller group (or joint). Now type

parent -s -r;

in the MEL input window. The sphere transform node can then be deleted. If your shape node jumped when you did the parenting, just select the cv's (or verts) and move them back to where you want them. (You can avoid this, but I wont go into it here unless requested). You probably want to ensure these shapes are not renderable too.

-- David

satanatron
06-15-2008, 09:15 AM
Yeah, essentially I just want to have controllers that have the same orientation as their joints...yet be zero'd out. In a similar manner to the pic.....

Cheers for the reply I'll give it a crack....

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/6117/controllerga4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Buexe
06-15-2008, 10:22 AM
There are various ways to do this. One is like DJX described it, adding shapes to the joints directly, though that doesn`t zero out all your translate and rotate values, because the translate will probably still have the offset to the parent joint. I would just put a group above your controller and then parentConstraint this group to the parent joint of where this controller is supposed to be, then parentConstraint the joint to the controller.

I hope this makes sense, cheers

CGTalk Moderation
06-15-2008, 10:22 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.