PDA

View Full Version : Orientation constraint

pequod
06-14-2008, 09:17 PM
Hello,

This is a long shot, but here goes:

I'm an ex-Animation Master user. In this program just like in XSI, there is the ability to apply an 'Orientation' constraint to a bone. However, in addition there is an option called 'Apply before action' which basically means you could continue to freely rotate this bone even though it's initial orientation would follow whatever it was constrained to.

A good use for this would be to keep a character's head level while say it's torso rotated. I know I can create a similar effect by having a parent and child bone, constraining only the parent bone which would allow me to rotate the child bone independently. Unfortunately, I overlooked this option and have already enveloped my rig.

Is there an equivalent 'Apply before action' option in XSI?

Thanks.

finalgathering
06-15-2008, 02:23 PM
Enable the CnsComp button on right. This creates an offset inside the constraint ppg.
A constrained object is not "locked" to it's deriver. It just seems that way because the the blend weight is set to 1.

pequod
06-15-2008, 03:23 PM
Thanks Manny, that's exactly what I meant.
I'm not sure I can trust myself to turn the compensation button off when I'm animating the rest of the time though. I read that it can cause problems with the Biped rig. I think I might have to bite the bullet and go down the two bone head route.

BTW, just bought your DVD and it has proved invaluable, especially the setups for the facial controls.

CGTalk Moderation
06-15-2008, 03:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.