PDA

View Full Version : Aligning objects in XSI

wannabeArtist
06-14-2008, 03:41 PM
Hello,

I'm learning to use XSI after playing with 3ds max for quite a while. There's one tool that I kind of miss from max, the align tool. I found that usefull for example if you model a coffee cup and want to set that on a table top (sort of snaping one surface to another). How is this done with XSI?

Thanks!

shadowedge
06-14-2008, 05:22 PM
Hi,

my max is a bit rusty, but the face snapping function you're talking about, is this the one where an editor box opens, then you check where you want to snap it to?

I don't really think there's an exact counterpart for it in XSI but I would do it in two quick steps.

1 - temporarily move the objects center to the chosen face (hold alt, then move the center)
2 - switch on faces on the snap panel, and move the object to the desired face

You see XSI's snap works by moving object A (from its center) to the point, edge or polygon face of object B. Moving the center temporarily is easy because you can also move it via snap (by holding cntrl while moving).

hope that's what you're looking for.

wannabeArtist
06-14-2008, 06:55 PM
Thanks! I kind of got that method working. There also seems to be a tool for that, just noticed, in the transforms, called align objects :)

tc
06-14-2008, 09:19 PM
you have 3 choices (at least)

- transform>match translation/rotation
this will align one pivot point with another pivot point.

- The align tool in the transform (as you a already noticed)

- Snap to surface, which my best bet.
Right below transform panel you have the Snap panel. Activate the "Surface" option. (right click in the button to bring the different options)

Now select the first object, activate transform. Hold Ctrl and you are snapping the selected object to any surface.

CGTalk Moderation
06-14-2008, 09:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.