PDA

View Full Version : incremental save question

pete
06-14-2008, 12:28 PM
Hi there,

Just a quick question if you've got some time.
I noticed that xsi backs up your scenes to a backup folder in the project (yes I'm still a newb of sorts).
Well it works well but it will only create a version backup if i choose file/'save as' .
If I just choose 'save' it overwrites the current file but creates no backup :(
Does this mean if I want to save and create a backup i have to use 'save as' all of the time? (i know it doesn't sound like much but it's nice to be able to just bash the save button every once in a while and not worry about choosing names etc.)
I know there is a good script by chinny that does incremental saves but I want to keep my master scene with the same name and the old incremental saves in another dir.

Thanks
Pete

ThE_JacO
06-14-2008, 02:03 PM
Actually the auto backups in the backup folder are for saveInPlace commands.
If you Save As it doesn't do anything because you're already producing a file iteration yourself, as soon as you Save (In Place) it will actually create the backup folder in backups with the name of the scene and copy the open scene in there, and then save it in place.

pete
06-14-2008, 02:52 PM
Weird it seemed to be working the opposite for me but i just realised that when I choose 'save' it comes up with an error
// WARNING : 3030-FILE-SaveScene - Command was cancelled.
and when I click 'save as' and choose to overwrite the current file, it works (and creates the backup). Looks like something is a bit skewed with my setup...

tc
06-14-2008, 09:28 PM
if you want a auto-backup type of thing
File>preferences>data management>auto backup. put 10 minutes and evey 10 minutes XSI will auto save whatever you have with the name Autosave.scn inside Project/system/user

The Backup folder will save a copy for each time you hit Ctrl+s. So you can go back one version if you need.

If you like scripting, in the SDK examples they put an Autosave plugin made out of a Timer event.
Something like Softimage\XSIversion\XSISDK\examples\workgroup\Addons\TimerEvent
You can easily modify this script to save a copy of your scene evey xx minutes...

JoshuaAnderson
07-07-2008, 02:50 PM
I'm also having a similar issue. Whenever I hit ctrl+S xsi gives me the 3030 warning. But if I do a save as, the scene gets saved. This is happening a lot to many of my friends too.

CGTalk Moderation
07-07-2008, 02:50 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.