PDA

View Full Version : composite rendered layers

iC4
05-22-2003, 04:37 PM
I rendered a little animation in maya, I have the following channels as .iff sequence: diffuse, specular and shadow.

but how should I composite them now? I mean which "merge" options should I use? multiply? overlay? I got the best results with "screen", but is this right?

it looks ok, but the problem is I get those white border edges...(the pod is composited over the background...)

http://members.xweb.cc/friedl/whiteborders.jpg

beaker
05-22-2003, 04:59 PM
What software are you compositing with? Looks like a premultiplication problem.

Marcel
05-22-2003, 05:16 PM
I think Beaker is right. It looks like you have rendered your object against a white background. You have to tell that to you compositing program. In After Effects for example you set a background color when importing the image sequence.

If you are making the composite in Photoshop you'll probably be best off rendering against a black background. I'm not sure how it works in the latest version of Photoshop.

iC4
05-22-2003, 07:01 PM
thx you were right, forgot to delete the background in my renders :hmm:

I'm starting to learn digital fusion, still wondering if the "screen" option in the merge tool is right for overlaying a specular layer over a diffuse.

a bit offtopic, but maybe somebody here uses DF too: is there a faster way to switch between back and foreground with the merge tool then always disconnecting both and connect the background to the orange and the foreground to the green input?

igoraki
05-29-2003, 06:02 PM
there is swap inputs option when you right click the tool...every tool,not just merge.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.