PDA

View Full Version : 10 mins a frame to calculate shatter effect?

MLajoie
06-13-2008, 09:34 PM
hey guys, just wondering, im trying to create a shatter effect, create nurbs sphere, create nurbs plane, create solid shatter on the sphere, make them rigid body, and drop them onto the plane, and playblast.

go for coffee, come back, and its at frame 23?

5 shards on default nurbs sphere, i mean i am using maya 7, but still is this normal?

yikes!

Aikiman
06-14-2008, 06:17 AM
Is it the shatter you are having probs with or the rigid body sim? Mayas rigid bodies really do suck especially when colliding rigids are so close together as they are when you shatter something - it cant handle interpenetration errors! Depeding on your scene, its best to turn off self collisions except for the floor. Or instead, after the coffee, go for a long walk too.

TheNeverman
06-16-2008, 07:58 PM
bake the scene and delete the dynamics before rendering...

then your just rendering instead of running a physics sim and rendering at the same time...

MLajoie
06-17-2008, 07:53 PM
thanks for the help guys, in the end i went with baking the sim, with self collisions off and rendering it. turned just fine

thanks again.
:)

CGTalk Moderation
06-17-2008, 07:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.