PDA

View Full Version : HDRI 3d magazine needs US

a_joke
06-13-2008, 02:27 PM
i wrote an email to them asking for a tutorial and even though you guys are great :thumbsup: , i just loves me some pretty pictures. and well sometimes (due space and time) not exactly step by step. well anyways they wrote me back

"We really try to cover topics that are requested by a lot of readers. Emails are counted..."
We had 3 requests for projectmessiah in 2004, but only 1 since then. If you know other users who subscribe, tell them to list if they order online. Get those request numbers up!

I will keep your request in mind, though, as article proposals come in. Many times a prospective writer will propose several topics, and we compare those to the reader requests. Iíll watch for projectmessiah as they come in.

Thanks, Willie!

i for one would like to see more tutorials available to me. again...i loves me some pretty pictures. maybe i'm wrong and an idiot :rolleyes:.

a_joke

a_joke
06-13-2008, 05:34 PM
i guess i'm the only one that feels this way. :banghead:

Tama
06-13-2008, 07:54 PM
i guess i'm the only one that feels this way. :banghead:

You're not alone. Probably more like 5 total if you count the other 4 requests made over the last 4 years or so.

Might just be that your posts aren't being taken seriously.

a_joke
06-13-2008, 08:30 PM
i guess...i just figured because this forum usually has a lot of questions/problems maybe a tutorial that goes a little more indepth would be beneficial. question... how would i go about it so that people would take me serously?

thanks for the reply......i felt so alone.

Bugpoo
06-14-2008, 01:32 AM
What kind of tutorial did you ask for? Did you try asking for it here?

Ulven
06-14-2008, 01:46 AM
Yeah, remember that there's a good plenty of people willing to help here when it comes to learning messiah, but a lot of us are working animators and such, and it's hard to find time to do tutorials for tutorials sake. If you ask for something specific, we can always help.

catizone
06-14-2008, 05:11 PM
And that is MUCH better than a tutorial you might not need at the moment, whereas help on real problems in this forum is great.

That said, it would be nice to see messiah get some presence in some articles as well.

Best,
Rick

a_joke
06-15-2008, 05:45 PM
i'm not saying that i couldn't get a better response, or that this forum isn't as responsive as it could be. i've been here at this forum plenty of times and always get a helpful response or find that someone else had the same problem and i'll learn from the help they got and sometimes there's things that can be eleborated on. i'm quite new (i can't devote a lot of time to this ... kids:argh:) . like for example multiple box controllers. i read the response and i really can't get my mind around it. that's where "i loves me some pictures" come in. a picture is worth a thousand words...and i dare not ask my fellow messians (for fear i'd piss them off) for pics. not to say that this forum gets pissed off, but i'd rather not be a pest. this forum is one of the better ones.

but like catizone wrote "it would be nice to see messiah get some presence in some articles..."

:D

a_joke

MarkInTx
06-15-2008, 07:53 PM
I completely agree that it would be nice if Messiah had a presence in magazines... because that would imply that more users were gravitating towards it, which means that there is more money coming in to PMG, which (one would assume) would mean that more developers would be working on updates.

However, I think that more magazine articles would be a symptom, not a cause. In other words, when more users use Messiah, the magazines will take notice. Clamoring for more magazine articles does not necessarily make for more users...

And, the reason you got a ho-hum response from the board here is that HDRI (or any other magazine) does not have the right people to write such articles... which means that the folks on here will end up being contacted to write them...

So, in a way, coming on here and asking for help is sort of like cutting out the middle man.

Frankly, I think the various videos put up by these users explain things better than an article could. I'm not sure that more articles become a better learning tool.

Don't get me wrong... I love buying magazines and taking them on airplanes as I travel. But, as a learning tool, they're are probably not as good as the things we have here.

I have become firmly convinced that the ONLY way to learn this stuff (short of having a mentor) is to try things, make mistakes, and come on here and ask the guys what you did wrong.

This is a small group... but they are MUCH more willing to help newbies than any other group I have found. If you post something on one of the other forums, you will get a lot more responses, no doubt... and my experience breaks down like this:

30% of the responses tell you to read the manual.
20% are just general flames or off topic
25% of the responses tell you that there is a better tool for that purpose
15% come from excited newbies who don't know the answer but jump in anyway
10% come from experienced pros who tell you your answer in short, brief sentences that are correct, but very obtuse
5% will actually attempt to explain things in a way you can understand, and follow-up with you to make sure you get it.

On this forum, you more or less skip the first 95%.

This means that you will maybe get one or two responses, but those tend to be more helpful.

YMMV.

PS: BTW, if you want to be taken seriously, maybe a new screen name would be in order?

a_joke
06-17-2008, 06:11 PM
i didn't write that this forum didn't help. if anything you're right, this forum is more helpful than not, so i hope i didn't offend anyone. it was not my intention.

catizone
06-17-2008, 07:06 PM
"...this forum is more helpful than not, so i hope i didn't offend anyone. it was not my intention."

I don't think so. We all like to see tutorials, especially those using messiah. It's just that they are ancillary to what is shared here, which is usually a direct answer, and/or solution. And there are a lot of nice tutorials on PMG's site, Ulven's and Weggs contributions, and then there are Joe Cosman's,etc.

What would be good would be for there to be some big coverage of some sort on some industry use of messiah. A focus on Andy's Airplanes, or that feature in Austrailia might be good starters.

Maybe PMG could do something on its use in Ghost Rider, Harry Potter, or Hellboy....

Best,
Rick

TylerAZambori
06-17-2008, 11:42 PM
"...this forum is more helpful than not, so i hope i didn't offend anyone. it was not my intention."

I don't think so. We all like to see tutorials, especially those using messiah. It's just that they are ancillary to what is shared here, which is usually a direct answer, and/or solution. And there are a lot of nice tutorials on PMG's site, Ulven's and Weggs contributions, and then there are Joe Cosman's,etc.

What would be good would be for there to be some big coverage of some sort on some industry use of messiah. A focus on Andy's Airplanes, or that feature in Austrailia might be good starters.

Maybe PMG could do something on its use in Ghost Rider, Harry Potter, or Hellboy....

Best,
Rick

which Harry Potter, and which Hell Boy? Cool!

catizone
06-17-2008, 11:54 PM
Just goin' by PMG's site....

CGTalk Moderation
06-17-2008, 11:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.