PDA

View Full Version : What can a CG Artist benefit from Siggraph

cammac
06-13-2008, 04:55 AM
Hi all,

I've never attended Siggraph, and hope to.
What is it in Siggraph, can a CG artist and his company benefit?
What is it that we can learn, no 4 walled classrooms or thick textbooks can offer?

malducin
06-13-2008, 05:10 PM
To me probably one of the biggest factors would be meeting and talking with people. It's the best way to talk to people from all over about anything. If you're looking for a job for example you can talk directly with a lot of HR people and lead artists about what they're looking for. If you have a certain problem for example from your software, technique or pipeline, you'll probably be able to find someone that might help you. And so on.

There are other things as well. You can find out about cutting edge research, see making ofs and behind the scenes work you won't be able to see elsewhere, classes on advanced subjects that are hard to come by, be inspired by watching some of the best animations and art from around the world, etc.

gary-smith
07-06-2008, 02:05 AM
How much is it going to cost to attend Siggraph this year? I've never been to one of these events but I hope I can make it to this one definitely.

cammac
07-06-2008, 03:02 AM
I think it is about $1k plus now. Before the 4th of July it was $850. This year will be my first time attending, definitely will be one of my blast experiences! :D

malducin
07-06-2008, 06:10 AM
How much is it going to cost to attend Siggraph this year? I've never been to one of these events but I hope I can make it to this one definitely.

SIGGRAPH fees and categories (http://www.siggraph.org/s2008/attendees/registration/fees.php)

gary-smith
07-06-2008, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the link malducin ;) I'm probably not going to be able to make it..I'm not sure if I would be considered a student or not (I just finished highschool..I'm 18 right now), since I'm not attending any courses or colleges right now. I really just wanted to attend, the full-access events aren't that big of a deal for me..I still have to get my plane ticket to LA out the of the way first lol.

malducin
07-07-2008, 12:29 AM
I'm not sure if I would be considered a student or not (I just finished highschool..I'm 18 right now), since I'm not attending any courses or colleges right now. I really just wanted to attend, the full-access events aren't that big of a deal for me..I still have to get my plane ticket to LA out the of the way first lol.

No, you need to be enrolled somewhere to be considered a student.

CGTalk Moderation
07-07-2008, 12:29 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.