PDA

View Full Version : Getting Rid of Film Grain

bobzilla
06-12-2008, 09:04 PM
What's the best way, without a plugin, to reduce film grain in stills? We get lots of crappy photos from people (low res, RGB, JPEG, etc.) and one of the things we're seeing lately is film grain, most likely because the wrong film speed was used.

If there is a plugin that can be recommended, I'd check them out, too, but would rather just use Photoshop if possible.

BTW We are usaing Photoshop CS2.

Thanks...

yann22
06-17-2008, 07:15 AM
Filter > Noise > Dust and Scratches / Reduce Noise

Plugin: Noise Ninja

Cheers,
Yann

3dj
06-17-2008, 07:22 PM
Filter > Noise > Dust and Scratches / Reduce Noise

Plugin: Noise Ninja

Cheers,
Yann
Try doing as Yann suggests, but I recommend doing so in Lab mode. That way all the noise will be in the lightness channel, separate from the color. If you do have color noise, just run a gaussian blur on the a and b channels.

As for plug ins, I like noise wear the best and it works in Lab.

-Jim

Neil
06-18-2008, 01:42 PM
You can also try "filter > noise > median"
It will bleed your colors together, but you also lose the crispness, but you can get some back by re-sharpening it.

bobzilla
06-18-2008, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the tips!

I've used the Dust and Scratches method a bit, but tend to lose detail as with using Median.

I guess it's just a back and forth with sharpening and choosing which channel has the worst grain.

CGTalk Moderation
06-18-2008, 02:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.