PDA

View Full Version : Where are you staying? (For those who wish to be found...)

RobertoOrtiz
06-12-2008, 09:15 PM
Well the header says it all..
Post here the Hotel where you are staying (if you wish to be found of course)

-R

Ernest Burden
06-30-2008, 08:40 PM
From the look of it today, I'll be sleeping in my rental car.

A few days ago there were still a good number of downtown hotels available through the Siggy site and also the usual travel site. Not anymore. So if we can't stay downtown, where else in LA is worth staying? I don't know the city very well. Picking a non-downtown hotel is like throwing darts at a map. I know in New York that's not a good idea. Of course, in NY you're never far from anything. In LA, its so spread out I could be on a bus or cab forever to get to Siggraph. My wife will be with me, so I want her to have things to do when I'm at Siggy.

wasbubs
07-11-2008, 12:32 AM
millenium biltmore

Maph
07-11-2008, 07:53 AM
The Miyako Inn. :)

jeremybirn
07-11-2008, 08:01 AM
From the look of it today, I'll be sleeping in my rental car.

A few days ago there were still a good number of downtown hotels available through the Siggy site and also the usual travel site. Not anymore. So if we can't stay downtown, where else in LA is worth staying? I don't know the city very well. Picking a non-downtown hotel is like throwing darts at a map. I know in New York that's not a good idea. Of course, in NY you're never far from anything. In LA, its so spread out I could be on a bus or cab forever to get to Siggraph. My wife will be with me, so I want her to have things to do when I'm at Siggy.

If you have a car and want to stay somewhere there's other things to do besides going into LA, then you might try Santa Monica. It's near got the beach, peir, shopping, lots of hotels... Up and down the coast nearby cities are also good if you get a good deal on a hotel in Marina Del Rey etc. Another idea is to staying at one of the hotels right in Universal City, near the city walk and universal city tours.

-jeremy

angrias
07-19-2008, 07:04 PM
I noticed quite a few hotels still available just outside the Financial District when I was browsing Expedia, but I don't know L.A. very well at all, so it would be hard for me to say what part of town they're in. Santa Monica sounds lovely.

Not that I know anyone particularily interested in knowing my whereabouts, but I am at the Holiday Inn - As I registered outside of the convention block, how / where can I procure a shuttle wristband? How much are they? (if anyone knows, thank you)

malducin
07-19-2008, 07:31 PM
I noticed quite a few hotels still available just outside the Financial District when I was browsing Expedia, but I don't know L.A. very well at all, so it would be hard for me to say what part of town they're in. Santa Monica sounds lovely.

Not that I know anyone particularily interested in knowing my whereabouts, but I am at the Holiday Inn - As I registered outside of the convention block, how / where can I procure a shuttle wristband? How much are they? (if anyone knows, thank you)

You can purchase wristbands at the Convention Center. Last year they cost $75. But what Holiday Inn are you staying? The one downtown is a conference hotel. But if you have your reservation there, but not via SIGGRAPH, I wouldn't worry. That's about the closest hotel to the convention center and definately a walkable distance. I'm staying at a farther hotel, and I'll be walkinig most of the time (except when carrying lots of stuff).

Santa Monica is very nice. Just take in consideration that going to/from there to downtown will take some time.

angrias
07-20-2008, 07:42 PM
You can purchase wristbands at the Convention Center. Last year they cost $75. But what Holiday Inn are you staying? The one downtown is a conference hotel. But if you have your reservation there, but not via SIGGRAPH, I wouldn't worry. That's about the closest hotel to the convention center and definately a walkable distance. I'm staying at a farther hotel, and I'll be walkinig most of the time (except when carrying lots of stuff).

Santa Monica is very nice. Just take in consideration that going to/from there to downtown will take some time.

It is the convention center Holiday Inn, I've stayed here for other conventions / conferences, and I agree, the walk to the convention all is negligable. My only concern for getting a wrist band was for some of the parties - depending how far out I go / how many times it may be more cost effective than a cab. Unless anyone is up for cab sharing ;)

CGTalk Moderation
07-20-2008, 07:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.