PDA

View Full Version : Preview render time change callbacks

Mathieson
06-12-2008, 04:46 PM
Is there any way to get time change callbacks working with "Make Preview Render"? I've done tests with rengisterTimeCallback and #preRenderFrame but it doesn't seem either of them are working.

Thanks

Kramsurfer
06-12-2008, 05:39 PM
The "Make Preview Render" does not invoke the renderer, so the #preRenderFrame callback will not be called. Interesting that the registerTimeCallback doesn't work, as the slider is moving...
What is it you're trying to accomplish?

ZeBoxx2
06-12-2008, 05:58 PM
it does indeed not signal the time change 'callback'; how odd

that said - it does signal the #viewportChange callback, might be able to work with that :)

Mathieson
06-12-2008, 07:10 PM
Figured something out, very cool! Thanks guys, helped a lot.

The #viewportChange callback wasn't being called quite often enough, counted about 14 times in a 100 frame test render. Your suggestion though helped me notice the registerRedrawViewsCallback. I tried replacing my existing registerTimeCallback one of those and it seems to work like a charm both in viewport playback and the make preview render.

ZeBoxx2
06-12-2008, 07:29 PM
how odd... did every frame here.. but then I tested in max5 -_-

Kramsurfer
06-12-2008, 07:49 PM
max 5??? On a Intel x386 with the turbo button off ?

ZeBoxx2
06-12-2008, 08:37 PM
aw, come on... it's a P1.6M and so forth.. yes, it's not quite a dual quad with 16GB of RAM and the latest space heater graphics card in it...

but let's not go finger-pointing at irrelevant issues such as hardware and instead ask (within the context of making a preview):
- why does the time change callback not work when clearly the time is being changed?
- why does the viewportChange callback work in max5, but not in Max 2009? (yes, I checked)

Great that the viewport redraw callback works, though. Then again, maybe they'll break that in 3ds max 2011 while we've moved on to 32-core beasts :)
( well, you guys, anyway.. I might have that dual quad by then! )

Kramsurfer
06-12-2008, 09:58 PM
So who do you want to blame? Kinetix, Discreet, or AutoDesk? I think the Yost Group is blameless for this bug... but not having any access to the lofting tool is all them....

ZeBoxx2
06-12-2008, 11:05 PM
I don't know if it's a bug - it might be a feature :) less / no callbacks when they're not supposed to happen; after all, nothing actually changed in the 'viewport'. The render preview window isn't technically a 'viewport'. Sure it uses the same display mechanisms as a viewport and such, but it's not a viewport.

But by that reasoning, the view redraw callback shouldn't get called either; hence, maybe they'll 'break' ('break' doesn't necessarily mean a bug) that in an upcoming version :) But perhaps then they'll also add #prePreviewRender, #prePreViewRenderFrame, etc. callbacks ;)

CGTalk Moderation
06-12-2008, 11:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.