PDA

View Full Version : polySmoothFace bypass...

sabungero
06-12-2008, 11:55 AM
hi there. first,im not so sure if this is indeed the proper place to post this but anyways...

i have a character thats skinned,then smoothed afterwards...now,lets say that i need to tweak the skinning so i have to set the smooth divisions to 0,then paint my weights,now,the obvious thing that will happen is the resulting mesh will look F___ed up when i set the smooth to 1 again. i know that theres a way to bypass this using the good ol' hGraph,saw a tutorial somewhere and i knew somebody who showed me how to do it once(i was just busy so i wasnt attentive)...sorry guys for the bother...

inspectorlee
06-18-2008, 11:06 PM
I believe if you delete non-deformer history before you re-smooth it should fix this problem (and not effect your weighting).

sabungero
06-19-2008, 02:37 AM
hi there mr lee. theres another way around this wherein you dont need to delete any input connections. all you have to do is redirect a certain commection to the polysmoothnode :D i just wonder which

sloggo
06-29-2008, 05:39 AM
I dont entirely understand why updating the weighting on the skinCluster would effect the end result? It doesnt create any wierd skin-tweak nodes or anything, the changes are on the skinCluster which should still be before the polySmoothFace -- the DG should evaluate exactly the same way, and your skin updates shouldnt do anything funky to the smooth -- or am I misunderstanding something?

XminusOne
06-29-2008, 07:43 AM
The problem is that you've gone and painted more weights after the smoothing, so set the smoothing to zero, select the mesh, in it's inputs in the channel box, select the polysmooth, then cntrl select the mesh and delete the polysmooth and then re-apply. Should work ok.

sloggo
06-29-2008, 08:20 AM
but how come painting weights after applying the smooth causes problems? I just tried a test, and setting divisions to 0 on the smooth node , then painting, then upping the divisions didnt appear to do anything unpredictable -- granted I only tested on very low res geo with pretty random joint placement, I may not have noticed some errors.

XminusOne
06-30-2008, 07:43 PM
The smooth node is applied after you paint the weights, so going back to a division of 0 and painting weights on it and then trying to up the polysmooth again won't work, due to the fact that the node can't store that kind of information. At least I think:)

KielFiggins
07-13-2008, 03:45 AM
Check your SkinCluster to make sure that Normalize Weights is On and Envelop is set to 1. You may be painting values on the skin that are blowing out the "all weights on a vert must equal 1" rule in Maya.

Hope this helps.

CGTalk Moderation
07-13-2008, 03:45 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.