PDA

View Full Version : [Maya2008]Rigged character with Blenshapes problem

KIIIA
06-12-2008, 01:43 AM
Hi,
i have a character, that is a group consisting of several meshes, smooth bound to a skeleton. One of the meshes in the group (the head) had blendshape animations on it before binding. Now (after weighting) i realize, that when i move the joints the blendshapes on the face mesh move in strange directions when i try to adjust them with the controls.

The problem doesn`t occur as long as i don`t move any joint.

How can i fix that problem and how can i generally rig meshes (or groups of meshes with some meshes having blendshapes) with blendshapes so that this problem won`t occur?

shinyprem
06-12-2008, 06:59 AM
Hi..!
Select the head mesh goto the input stack... the order there has to be:-
1.polySmooth (if you have that).
2.skinCluster.
3.bleandShape.
4.tweak
If this is follwed your pblm will be solved.

Rgds,

KIIIA
06-12-2008, 08:00 AM
that is exactly the order i have on that mesh, but it`s still not working!

Could the reason be, that i bound the whole group and not one single mesh?

KIIIA
06-12-2008, 08:38 PM
..i post a link to my maya source file with the rigged character, hoping somebody takes a look at it and is able/willing to help:

www.kiiia.com/files/misc/character_rig_problem_blendshapes.rar

thx in advance!

Keithtron
06-13-2008, 05:22 PM
One thing you could try is using the blendshaped head as a wrap deformer for another copy of the head. Basically just duplicate the head and skin the duplicate, and use the version with the animated blendshapes as a wrap around it. You'll need to attach the wrap to the head joint as well.

Not sure if this will solve your problem or not, but it might help.

SkullboX
06-13-2008, 06:21 PM
It's a pretty odd problem, but it was easy to find. Just select the head and view the in- and output connections in the hypergraph. If ths sounds incomprehensible, just select the head, go to window -> hypergraph: connections. There you will see all the nodes connected to your head model, including all the blendshape shapes (I couldn't find the actual geometry in the scene anymore, so I guess you deleted that).

The odd thing is that the blendshape Shape objects all have a skincluster as well. Meaning that when your head model deforms, your blendshapes will deform as well. If you set any blendshape to 1 and rotate the head joint, you actually get all of that rotation twice (one rotation because of the skin attached to the model, and the other because of the skin attached to the blendshape). If you have more blendshapes on, it'll be even worse.

So make sure your blendshape objects cannot deform, and remain static at all time.

Now to fix this, select all the skincluster nodes in the hypergraph window except the one attached to the node headShape (your actual deforming head model) and press delete. That's all. :)

KIIIA
06-13-2008, 07:20 PM
very much SkullboX! That was exactly the problem! When i unhide the blendshapes i saw, that their geometry was also bound to the skeleton no matter that they were hidden when i executed the bind command.

That was also the reason why the problem appeared only with some bones and blendshapes and with others it worked fine.

Again, thank you very much!

CGTalk Moderation
06-13-2008, 07:20 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.