PDA

View Full Version : Learning Modo before 3DS or vice versa?

Zirngibism
06-11-2008, 05:39 PM
Hi there,

I have some experience with 3D (such as Bryce) and with 3D fractal things like XFrog, but not much in building my own models purely "from scratch".
I want a modeller that will eventually allow me to create intricate organic and structural shapes while being intuitive to someone used to working with analog materials.
Several things are pointing me to Modo.

HOWEVER, is Modo the best program to start learning "real" 3D modelling with?
The reason why I ask is that it seems most people talking about Modo are transferring from another 3D program, or wanting to import a Modo model into something else. This makes me think it's some kind of specialty program that should be learned after something like 3DS.

And is Modo easier or harder to initially learn than 3Ds?

With all of these powerful programs out there, making a choice of which one to start learning is daunting- any advice appreciated!

theeyeinthesky
06-13-2008, 07:16 AM
That depends on what are your intentions with this software... if you're in the animation field, forget about it, but modelling is simply dellicious in modo! As a companion for other softwares, at least for the moment, this is my advice...

brenly
06-13-2008, 07:44 AM
there is so many video tutorials out there .. that alone will help you pick it up fast. it works the way a 3D app should. Max is bogged down in old code and ways of doing things which make you just want to pull your hair out!
the reason people are moving over to Modo .. its fun and fluid to use.

Martin Kay
06-13-2008, 08:06 AM
Modo is easier to use than Max, or most other mainstream 3D apps.
Modo is currently, by far the best bang for your buck and also in many ways far superior than many older established programs excepting that you don't need sophisticated animation. The SDS modelling system is way, way streets ahead of anything else, there's a good integrated UV and painting/sculpting set up all packaged with excellent global illumination rendering. And its rendering is very fast - about ten times faster than c4d AR render for instance, for comparable results.
Modo has attempted to cut the crap and provide only whats necessary in the rendering/texturing/global illumination part, consequently its quite hard to end up with poor results as a result of not being able to get your head round a complicated system.
Modo has excellent training videos, mostly free, but there are also a lot of cheaply priced training pojects to work through. The manuals aren't the best and learning is best done by going through all the video tutorials and projects.

Martin K

CGTalk Moderation
06-13-2008, 08:06 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.