PDA

View Full Version : structure eraser

ChristianFischer
06-11-2008, 06:20 PM
hey,

is it possible to use brushes as erasers on layers?
i tried to set the mode to eraser on certain brushes but it always paints in white then ..

chris

Jinbrown
06-11-2008, 07:21 PM
Hi,

Since you don't say which brush variant you set to use Method: Eraser, it's hard to do more than guess at an answer then guess why you might want to use a brush variant set to Method: Eraser.

Here's what I can say:

The simplest solution is to erase with the Eraser tool (N key).

Why is the brush variant, when set to Method: Eraser, painting white?

When you changed the brush variant to use Method: Eraser, if you chose Subcategory: Soft Paint Remover, that may be why it's painting white instead of erasing.

If for some reason you really want to change a brush variant to use Method: Eraser, try setting the Subcategory to Soft Paper Color instead.

#

ChristianFischer
06-11-2008, 10:36 PM
hi jin.

i was trying to use a brush as an eraser because i did neither want a round nor a square brush tip for erasing.
i' d like to be able to create jittered edges by using a brush with some kind of structure.

your tip with "soft paper color" worked like a charm .. many thanks for that jin :)

regards chris

Jinbrown
06-11-2008, 11:22 PM
I'm happy to hear it worked for you!

Thanks for telling me why you wanted to use a brush variant adjusted to Method: Eraser. It's what I guessed might be your reason.

We can get much more interesting eraser marks doing it that way, and with a wide variety of brush dab shapes created from images then captured and saved as custom Captured Dab variants.

Have you tried using your favorite brush variants to paint on a Layer Mask? While some brush categories' variants can't be used on Layer Masks, many can. One advantage of using that method instead of "Method: Eraser" is that we can use brush variants that interact with Paper texture and retain that "grainy" look in the brush strokes. Another advantage is the Layer Mask can be edited to correct mistakes without damaging the Layer.

#

ChristianFischer
06-12-2008, 10:38 AM
ah, i didn't even think of using layer masks jin .. works perfectly also :)
and it's the better way of course because it's non destructive!
many thanks for the tip!

Jinbrown
06-13-2008, 09:50 AM
Hi Christian,

Happy to help.

I like using Layer Masks since, as we agree, they're non-destructive.

Cheers!

#

CGTalk Moderation
06-13-2008, 09:50 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.