PDA

View Full Version : brush behaviour

ChristianFischer
06-11-2008, 02:17 PM
hi ..

lets say i do a very light brush stroke with black in painter .. then i can do as many strokes as i want and the stroke doensn't get darker until i push harder.

in photoshop the stroke gets black if i do light strokes often enough because one brush stroke is added to the other.
and if i do 2 strokes with the same intensity which overlap i get this:

http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/2096/62422877je3.jpg

is there any way to avoid this darker overlapping area like in painter?

cheers chris

alenah
06-12-2008, 01:41 PM
hi chris,
in Photoshop there might be a few different reasons in fact, why your strokes may behave like this..

it may be the settings of the brush, but it may also be the settings of the texture you applied to your brush within the Brushes palette (if so), or it may even be the settings of another brush, which you combined with your basic brush (dual brushes), that may cause your strokes look like that ...
so - as I do not know the settings of your brush, I can only guess -

but - basically - the basic "cover" or "build-up" effects, that you are probably talking about, are quite similar in Painter and in Photoshop, the only difference is in the way how to apply them to your brush strokes:

while in Painter you have to choose one of the methods (and accordingly the subcategory, if you want to keep the same look of your brush) - "cover" or "build-up" - within the General settings; in Photoshop this can be done by applying Normal (for "cover" method) and Multiply (for "build-up" method) blending mode to your brush strokes (in the upper Property Bar).

If you paint into a transparent layer, sometimes may also help using the "Behind" blending mode, as this protects the "already painted areas" from being overpainted again, so you can get no "building-up" effect with this setting, as the strokes do not overlap in this case, the color pixels of every new stroke just "fills the holes" ...

Painter:
http://www.ahdesign.cz/images/00/replies/demos/painter_demo01.gif

Photoshop:
http://www.ahdesign.cz/images/00/replies/demos/Ph_demo01.gif

but - still - there is a lot of other issues that affect the look of the strokes - opacity, flow, "grain" of the texture, the way of how your strokes are texturized (each tip or not) etc ... and - also one other little "tricky" issue - with black,
as black is the "most extreme color" (the darkest one you can get), the difference between "cover" and "build-up" method sometimes fades (if many strokes in one place), as Photoshop is trying to achieve the selected color in the end - so - with black, though your settings may be ok, your painting may sometimes turn out black; to prevent this you have to set less opacity first, or so ...

hope this helps,
and sorry, my English, perhaps it makes sense
take care, a.
(if you cannot see the animations, please let me know)

ChristianFischer
06-12-2008, 04:08 PM
many many thanks for the long explanation and the videos alena!
i was not really referring to the build up mode .. in photoshop and in painter i didn't use a brush with 100% intensity instead i used pen pressure to do some light strokes.
so in the example of my screenshot i've got a pretty standard brush with a low intensity which adds up pretty fast.
in painter i also get the this effect but somehow much more decent.
it is easier to paint gradients in painter for some reason .. maybe it is just me but painter somehow feels a lot better in this respect.
anyway .. i will play around with the settings in both programs, so many thanks again for taking so much time :)

chris

alenah
06-12-2008, 10:33 PM
well, never mind,
it was not as bad as that :)
in fact I have a lot of the animations ready-to-use as I prepared them for some reason (tuts, Ph. lessons) earlier,
you are welcome,
take care, a.

CGTalk Moderation
06-12-2008, 10:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.