PDA

View Full Version : How does Symmetry in Modo work

subbz2k
06-10-2008, 08:50 AM
hey guys.

im just diving into modo and for now im really amazed how fast and intuitive the modeler is. this just brought me to starting a new project there i want to model some kind of spacecraft. but i have a problem: i cannot model it symmetrically so far.

i created a base cube, loop sliced it a bit to get a base and turned on symmetry on x in the pane above the viewport. but as soon as i try to lets say just move a vertex around it doesnt move it on the other side of the object as one would expect it from doing this in a symmetrical mode.

can you tell me what i missed? i cant really find something in the included help. would be great if you can!

thx in advance
subb

edit: sry i forgot to mention: i evaluate the 302 of modo right now. just in case you need to know this.

Nemoid
06-10-2008, 07:18 PM
prolly loop slicing causes an error.
try using a cube and divide it setting some rows and spans using its parameters.

subbz2k
06-11-2008, 05:11 AM
hi there. i did but this doesnt work either. and for modeling you need to slice your object, so it cant be that it doesnt work with this. perhaps it is a bug? or does it just work otherwise? would be great if you can help me because as said im new to modo and would really need this feature to model. thanks in advance again!

Nemoid
06-11-2008, 01:06 PM
the general rule with simmetry mode is
an object has to be simmetrical before turning simmetry on.

so, if slicing your cube gives you problems, you could slice it, also down on x axis. make sure that points along this center line are aligned exactly at x=0
this will make u able to delete one half of the object, mirror it and bring simmetry mode back

another thing u can try is.

don't work with unit cube, but draw it onto viewport, with simmetry mode off. use cube parameters to get some row and span (it never hurts).

then center it on axis(there's a specific command) then turn simmetry on. the object should now be simmetrical and placed at the center of the origins so that simmetry should work.

now , if moving vertices works in simmetryi and so on, and making further loops slices breaks simmetry on the model this could be a bug.

p.s. simmetry in modo is rather weak and breaks easily tho.

maigow
06-11-2008, 07:43 PM
Hey!

watch out the option "OFFSET" for the three axis when using the axis slice tool and set it to zero....it should solve the problem

Martin Kay
06-13-2008, 08:25 AM
hey guys.

im just diving into modo and for now im really amazed how fast and intuitive the modeler is. this just brought me to starting a new project there i want to model some kind of spacecraft. but i have a problem: i cannot model it symmetrically so far.

i created a base cube, loop sliced it a bit to get a base and turned on symmetry on x in the pane above the viewport. but as soon as i try to lets say just move a vertex around it doesnt move it on the other side of the object as one would expect it from doing this in a symmetrical mode.

can you tell me what i missed? i cant really find something in the included help. would be great if you can!

thx in advance
subb

edit: sry i forgot to mention: i evaluate the 302 of modo right now. just in case you need to know this.

You need to properly centre any object on the world axis before you start modelling and using symmetry. If 'elements' you wish to manipulate in symmetry aren't themselves symmetrical (according to the world axis ) then symmetry obviously wont work.Symmetry is about the only area that I've found flaky in Modo - I'm talking about 301. I think 302 has probably solved any problems there was. I suspect Modo is sensitive to a 'corrupt' OS and this could give rise to problems with symmetry. The word seems to be DONT use utilities like Norton as it does something Modo doesn't like. I can vouch for this as my symmetry in 301 worked before I ran Norton Utilities. Currently in 302 it all works.

Martin K

CGTalk Moderation
06-13-2008, 08:25 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.