PDA

View Full Version : 1st Animation Test - Please Critique

Boldaz-Lepton
06-10-2008, 08:44 AM
Hi,
This is my very first post on these forums although I've been a frequenter for a while. I'm currently studying animation and this is a simple acting exercise I've been doing in class. The dialogs are from Pulp Fiction (I know... so cliche) and are kind of discontinuous so coherency has been a bit of a problem. The acting is not meant to portray the actual scene(s) the dialogs were taken from. This is my first animation test and I need some critiques, please.

Right off the bat I know there are some interpolations that are not the smoothest and I will fix those as soon as I can. What I'm looking for is some comments on acting, timing, lipsync and especially poses. I really want to become a good animator and I have thick skin so please don't hold back on your comments. This is supposed to be an ensamble piece with 3 other characters acting along. I just posted this character which is the one I animated, the modeling and rigging were done by someone else.

Here's the link and THANKS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXL_QKwRth8

Boldaz-Lepton
06-11-2008, 09:54 AM
ehhh, hello...

is there anybody out there??

gibby!
06-12-2008, 06:32 AM
hey boldaz-lepton! first off, i'm glad you've decided to take up animation. it's hard work... harder than most people think but it's very rewarding to see your characters come to life and seeing people enjoy your work. Anyway, you're looking for some feedback and i got some for you my friend.

to start, doing a 53second animation is insane amount of work specially if you're starting off AND the dialogue is all over the place. for this i recommend you pick one scene no longer than 10-15seconds, and two characters max.

in an animation with lipsync, the lips are the last thing to be animated. first, you should storyboard/plan what you're character will be doing during the scene (this part is not exciting but VERY important). then you have to do a pose test which is roughing in your animation making sure that your character has clear poses and the timing is right. this takes time and practice and there are many methods to doing it.

hmmm.. i just read that you're studying animation so your instructor should be telling you all this :P Anyway dude, cut it down to the part where you wanna focus on and lets go from there.

Boldaz-Lepton
06-12-2008, 09:45 AM
Thank you for your reply! I guess it was a bit extreme to do almost a minute of animation on my first try. You're right about the dialog being all over the place, that makes it impossible in my opinion to get consistent acting or even to give the character a personality of its own. My teachers suggested that I animate the body and the lipsync at the same time, but I did the lipsync first thinking that I could get it out of the way and concentrate on the body acting, I guess that's a little too obvious, huh? I was just kind of obsessed with trying to make the character look flexible and alive as opposed to stiff and lifeless like most student animations ;-)

Thanks again for replying, your comments have been really helpful.

Cheers!

lewistaylor
06-12-2008, 10:33 AM
Your teacher suggested to animate the body and the lipsync ?
Man, that's crazy. Gibby! is on the money with his comments.

I remember reading somewhere, that the Pixar guys try to nail the
characters body animation first, and if the lipsync comes off good on
top of that it's a bonus.

Think about scrat from ICEAGE. His intentions are clear in every scene,yet he doesn't say a word.

Also think about the fact that your character is not a digital double. So push his actions further, otherwise it looks lifeless. Not to say
that he has to be all manic like Roger Rabbit, but even Homer moves
about more than a regular human.

Lewis

Capel
06-12-2008, 11:48 PM
I agree with what everyone else has said, but i'll take it a step further and say that i think you need to backtrack and start with the basics. the bouncing ball. it's clear that you don't really have a grasp on the concept of non-linear timing and spacing. also, you can tell that your method of animating is really sloppy. you'll save yourself a lot of time and headaches if you pick up the book The Animator's Survival Kit and check out keithlango.com or jasonryananimation.com to learn about different approaches to an acting piece. good luck!

Boldaz-Lepton
06-13-2008, 11:15 AM
I think you guys are right.

It's really beyond me why my teacher suggested that I animate the lipsync and the body at the same time.

Fortunately I just picked up a copy of The animator's Survival Kit. Man, this book is pure gold. The whole section about walk cycles is just amazingly helpful.

Yeah, my animation technique for this piece wasn't really methodical, so I guess I will have to start from scratch. I think It's great that I can get some opinions from outside my school and I really appreciate all of your comments... So I guess it's back to the very basics for me!

I'll post some other animation test as soon as I have something more decent to show.

Thanks again>

CHEERS

CGTalk Moderation
06-13-2008, 11:15 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.