PDA

View Full Version : HDRI images?

johnnynightlife
05-22-2003, 12:39 AM
I have some HDRI images that i want to apply to a scene, and i am soooo obviously new to MAYA that i don't know how i can either apply them to a plane, or a sphere? They are light probe, spherical, as well as vert, horiz formats. What do i do?:shrug:

Ken Koala
05-22-2003, 03:58 AM
Try
http://www.steven-tubbrit.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Tutorials/Tutorial_03.htm

Have fun mate

Regards
Ken
:beer:

johnnynightlife
05-23-2003, 01:39 AM
that's the excact tutorial i needed, thank you!

Now, I worked my way through the first tutorial, the basics of Mental Ray, but in the second tutorial, when i go to open, or import, or apply the HDRI image to the nurbs half sphere with lambert shader, i get the same ERROR! unrecognized file, even when i downloaded the HDRI image suggested in the tutorial. Now what?

Ken Koala
05-23-2003, 09:28 AM
Ignore that error. Maya doesnít recognise this type of file but mental ray does when it renders. Just doesnít display.
Continue with setting your final gather settings

Have fun
Ken

johnnynightlife
05-23-2003, 03:08 PM
ok, ill try that, thanks. ill let u know how i make out

johnnynightlife
05-23-2003, 05:19 PM
I need to find some basic tutorials on setting up the enviornment balls, spheres, and/or skies, because i'm not getting any results following this particulartutorial on HDRI images.

ME3D
05-24-2003, 09:12 AM
The tut from stephan actually works really well.. Where did you find it hard to follow I can help.
Main issue to stress is the scale is the key. My first HDRI images were based from this tut and it came out great. Check my site http://www.me3d.tv/garry/GELodds.html

You see the Red ball? Look familiar? lol
Also cjheck the images of the CD's with madonna on front. Same setup . The animations folder has a look at this in motion.

Let me know where your stuck.
-ME3D

Gremlin
05-24-2003, 10:49 PM
LOL
there is like a total of 10 HDRI images that everyone uses...

ME3D
05-26-2003, 07:04 AM
Funny how that works eh?
I have some of the Dosch, and this little set that was like 50 bucks. I still like the ones I had for free...lol
For specific jobs its definitly easier to just shoot that particular place though. Eventually that will become my library. :)

johnnynightlife
05-27-2003, 12:16 AM
ok, here's where i get lost. After the step where i create a lambert shader, and apply it to the half dome, it says to open tha attr. editor, and click on the box in the lambert tab next to ambient color, and in the 2d section, which i am good so far, select file, then find the HDRI image stated in the tutorial, good so far, then it says if maya cant read it, to click best guess for file type. good there too, but NOW, HOW DO I APPLY IT TO THE DOME? Then it says once i have done the above, to do it to the color chanel also, but i tried that and it did not work????:thumbsdow

Ken Koala
05-27-2003, 06:59 AM
Mate! Mate!
Select the dome. Open up hypershade. Right click on the material you want to assign. Select assign material to selection. You may need to rotate the file node as this maybe at 90 deg depending on your up axis (as you cant see the hdri file you may want to temporarily link a ramp node to the colour to check how you need to rotate the hdri file node. donít forget to delete this ramp node). You donít need to link this file node to the colour, this tend to bleed the scene out.
Anyway, create a point light in the scene and make the intensity 0. If you donít create this light the scene will have the hdri light as well as the default light. So setting this light to 0 means the scene is only using the hdri light.
Set your rendering to use MR. Adjust the final Gather settings according to the tutorial.

Need any more help, just let me know

Good luck digger

Ken

ME3D
05-27-2003, 06:40 PM
Nice explanation. I did have one comment. Do you really need the created light anymore, as you can now just turn off the default light in the render globals. This step might not be needed? What do you think?

Ken Koala
05-27-2003, 11:33 PM
Very true
I dont have Maya 5 yet.

onlooker
03-24-2004, 05:01 PM
This is the thread I'm looking for, but the links are down. Does anyone else have a good tute on using HDRI in Maya?

Ken Koala
03-24-2004, 07:59 PM
Hay Onlooker!
Check out
http://www.highend3d.com/boards/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=MayaMR&Number=108212

I haven't read it completely but these guys on Highend are usually on the mark.

Good luck Gee
Kane
:beer::buttrock::drool:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.