PDA

View Full Version : Arm Pop

Maximus_5610
06-10-2008, 02:52 AM
Hey all,

I've modelled my arm in a slightly bent pose and when I go to rig it...after I create the IK Pole Vector to a locator behind the elbow. The arm pops a bit. I know there is a way to fix it using point constraints and aiming through the elbow but that pushes my PV way off. Does it really matter that it pops b4 I skin him?

MikeRhone
06-10-2008, 05:25 AM
Before you add the ik, right click on the joints and choose "Set preferred angle". That will alleviate the pop you are seeing. :thumbsup:

digitalandrew
06-10-2008, 11:09 AM
...Does it really matter that it pops b4 I skin him?

Hi,

If the rig pops before you skin, the joints are less likely to line up with geometry. Keeping your joint rotations at zero is not just good practice but lets you return the character to it's bound pose by simply zeroing all the rotations. Zero rotations will also assist you in connecting and aligning controls for your rig - especially if a control is rotating a joint directly. If you go straight to weight painting before setting up a control system, you'll know that 0 across the board is the bind pose - especially good practice if you are working with a team. Also, if your rig moves before you skin it, unbinding the skin will give you undesirable results in your geometry.

You are right about creating a poleVector constraint using point and aim constraints to create a PV constraint. If you make a locator, point constrain it between the wrist and shoulder, aim it to the elbow then delete the constraints and move it along the axis pointing towards the elbow, your poleVectorConstraint wont affect the joint rotation - and you can move it as far away from the elbow as you need to.

Hope that helps. :buttrock:

-a

mberglund
06-11-2008, 05:51 PM
if you can post the file, we might be able to get a PV control for you working and then explain how we did it. Post a .ma in case of different versions.

CGTalk Moderation
06-11-2008, 05:51 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.